- advertisement -

small basals and small bodies

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by brad, Mar 3, 2008.

1. brad

brad Approved members

Just for clarity, Cadence is now 16 months, she was diagnosed at 8 months. We are actually in Calgary :D

2. Val

Val Approved members

Simon was 2 1/2 when we started pumping & he is now 3 3/4. (Not to be confused with 3 1/2, because he is WAY older! ;)) Anyway, we went with the minimed b/c of the integrated CGMS system. There are some days that I really wish we had the smaller increments, but we are still able to make it work. We would alternate from .05 to .00 during the night to get a smaller average. So if you really want the CGM, you can always make the minimed work.

Having said that, I would also like to chime in about what Amy said...I can't remember the last time I spoke to my pump rep. As long as you can stand her long enough to get through the training, that should be enough. We have found the customer service number to be very helpful.

Good luck with your decision!

3. wellsfamily

wellsfamily Approved members

Ahhhhhh - thanks for clearing that up (age and location)! Thought we might be neighbors.

4. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

I added the graphs!:)

5. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Where did you add them???

6. EmmasMom

to the original post :)

Momto4 likes this.
  7. twodoor2

Amy thank you so much for posting those charts. They're awesome:D

One question, does it also record Standard Deviation?

Thanks again!!! :D

8. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

Marsha, if you use a cgms, then yes it does do standard deviation. I am not sure if you aren't using the cgms.

9. twodoor2

That's what I heard, I just didn't see it specified in the above charts. We do capture the SD everyday in my spreadsheet, however that sample size is aronnd n=10 (10 blood tests a day). That is no where near as accurate as an SD captured by a CGMS which does a blood test every five minutes (I think??).

An SD < 65 is key to long term health per John Walsh.

10. Pammers

Pammers Approved members

Joey has been on the Animas 1250 for almost 2 years now. I don't know what i would do without the small basals. As it is, I have him fluctuating between .15 and .175 every hour overnight because 0.15 is too little and 0.175 is too much!!!

11. EmmasMom

It does, on another version of the same graph, but this is just from finger sticks. (Pre-CGMS)

[​IMG]

I'll start another thread and post some various current CGMS graphs with standard D if you're interested. I just printed some out today and they're pretty fascinating. (but I don't want to hijack this thread!:))

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
    twodoor2 likes this.
  12. twodoor2

Thank you so much, that would be awesome!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. :D