advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slipped & fell, bruises one week later?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Mimi, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Last Wednesday morning I slipped on the driveway, went down on my left knee and shin. It was quite painful for the day but not so much that I couldn't walk. My knee bruised the next day as expected. Now one week later more bruising seems to be developing...around my knee, my lower shin is one big bruise, on the sides of my foot. Last night my foot was slightly swollen, still is today and it looks like another bruise is developing on the top of my foot. There is no pain really. It's a bit achy.

Does it seem normal that I'd still be developing bruising a week later?

2. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

You may have injured it worse than you thought. Can your md order you an x-ray or at least see you.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

you may need an MRI to see whats going on under the surface. There might be some hairline fractures that arent too painful but are causing bruising still. Sorry about the spill:(

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I had that happen once. I don't remember what the original injury was but my ankle got all bruised looking. The Dr said that it was just blood pooling down there from the original injury:eek: but that it was fine.

If it bothers you, I'd have a Dr look at it.

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

What Barbie said...and when I have a bruise that starts to itch, it usually means it's healing.

6. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

it could have been a really deep bruise that is just now coming to the surface...i did this 2 or 3 weeks ago on the ice..yea 3 inch heels not a good idea lol...and my knee still looks awful the bruise is bigger now that the first several days after it happened ..still sore to :(

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Yep, if you get a bruise under your sub-q fat, or perhaps the periosteum (bone covering), you won't see it for a while... not until it starts to break down and infiltrates the surrounding tissues.

I'd still recommend getting checked out. I had this happen last summer with my leg.. I fell and hit my shin on the corner of a milk crate, and while it was immediately swollen and VERY painful, I didn't have any visible bruising until about a week later (long after having it x-rayed and being given the all-clear). It was yucky. In fact it didn't actually stop hurting until a few weeks ago.

8. etringali

etringali Approved members

I do that! Sometimes i hit something excruciatingly hard. No bruise until a week or so later, and then i can't remember what I did to get it, or I barely bump into something and have a huge black/blue/purple mottled monster. Very annoying. I had to undergo a bleed time test because of this.

9. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Thanks for the replies. Saw a doctor today, had x-rays and all is fine. Nothing broken. Just badly bruised and all the "fluid" is being pulled by gravity to my ankle, foot and toes. He said it might take a while to heal. :rolleyes: I feel better now knowing it's not serious. Just ugly! :p

10. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Girl, I don't know exactly what caused it, but about 10 years ago I twisted my ankle off the edge of the sidewalk, and landed on my knee on the pavement. Had all the usually tests, and was on crutches for a couple of days. Anyway, I had this purpleish looking bruise on my kneecap FOR...EVER! I could still see it almost a year later! Of course it stopped hurting about a month afterward, but I could see where I hit for a REALLY long time! I hope everything is not so sore, or is getting better!

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I shoudln't share this..but I will...its not really my story, but Paula bruised her legs and showed me the pictures from a few weeks later..they were still scary bad.