- advertisement -

Sleepovers.....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by caspi, Nov 22, 2011.

1. caspi

caspi Approved members

Something was brought up in another thread and I was interested to find out what others do in regards to sleepovers.

Do you expect the parent where your child is sleeping over to know how to use a glucagon? We personally have never trained another parent, and I was curious what others do.

2. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

I am going to be perfectly honest....

I find it totally intimidating and it scares the crap out of me just thinking about having to use the Glucagon on Tyler, so why would I expect others to be ok with it?

I always tell people, including school that if he is unresponsive, try rubbing honey on his gums or just pour sugar in his mouth, and call an ambulance.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Nope, never.

Juice, tabs, a cell phone and a tester is all I have ever sent for a sleepover. We have never used glucagon and to expect someone who isn't living the life of D to use it is beyond what I would consider reasonable. Nor do I think my child would be included in sleepovers and the like once parents got wind of my expectations should I insist that they all be trained to use glucagon.

4. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

No, have never brought it up. I have Hana test frequently, have her cell phone by her pillow at night along with a juice and glucose tabs. She has to check in with me before bed. We determine if she needs to eat something and if she should lower her basal.
    I tell the parents to call me if anything comes up or if there is a true emergency, call 911 (which is worthless in New Jersey because they are not allowed to administer glucagon).

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I was dx'd at 14, and no. I have had friends whose parents will not let me stay because of D anyway. Until recently, nobody had been trained on anything, other than my friends, who I have always told that if I am unresponsive they should call an ambulance right away. Recently my friends decided they wanted to learn glucagon, but now I'm at college that's kind of irrelevant again.

6. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

I am fortunate enough for my DDs friends to know her really well and they know how to listen for the dexi and what to do. That usually catches any problems before they come up.

TRACY

7. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Most of the parents...no. A small portion of them that have become close friends have all offered to learn how to do it. We typically just send tabs, juice, a cell phone and run a tad bit higher and we keep in contact with bg check and text messages. We have figured out a good night time routine in regards to sleepovers that work for us. In all truth, the low bg that hits at sleepovers has NEVER been at a time when I would ask a parent to check anyway!:rolleyes:

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

There is one parent that will take K over night. She asked to be trained on everything, so she is trained on glucagon. She's excellent with Kaylee, totally understands what needs to be done and is willing to test through the night if need be. She's simply AWESOME. I wouldn't send Kaylee over night anywhere else. She hasn't even spent the night at either grandparent yet.. working on that. ;)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  9. Lee

Lee Approved members

No, but yes, I did when she was younger - I would do a quick run through. She had a low once at a friend's house. The mom sat up with her from about 2am to 3 am. I was incredibly touched by this...

She has never been invited back :(

T1 is incredibly intimidating to us parents, much less non T1 parents. After this parent, who also mentioned all of my D FB posts terrifying her, I opened my eyes. I was posting all of these scary things on FB (I still do every now and then), posting all these Kids Die statistics, etc, etc, etc. No wonder this mom never invited her to spend the night again.

(Sorry - personal tangent)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Short answer: NO. I've never trained anyone outside the family in glucagon. I have, however, talked to close friends about how to squirt icing or honey in the gums/cheek if found unresponsive. But even talking about that is rare, frankly.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

He's never been on a sleepover ....

12. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

Nope, never even mentioned it. I only let Jenny go, ones I felt comfortable that she will be able to take care of herself. She is texting me her numbers. We usually let her run a little higher.

13. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Reann was 13 at diagnosis, but I never did tell anyone about the glucagon. I just told the parents to call me if there was a problem with her bg, but she really knew what to do herself.

14. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I don't even mention glucagon. If it's parents I don't know, then I just give them an FYI that he has D, reassure them that he knows how to do all his stuff, give them my number and let them know they can call at anytime if there are any questions. I intentionally say "questions", I never say "problems". I keep it all very casual because I don't want to spook anyone.

Then I just make sure Bobby's pockets are packed with tabs/candy, run him a little higher while he's away, and have him text me his bg before he goes to sleep (whatever ridiculous time that is!)

Then I just cross my fingers and try not to wear out the carpet pacing the floor till morning. :eek:

15. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

No, Seth texts or calls before bed. I have him eat a snack (He doesn't normally get a snack.) Then he sleeps with a juice box, tester, and his cell next to his head. I run him a little higher...

16. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Bummer :( Sleepovers are fun.

17. momof2greatkids

momof2greatkids Approved members

This is what we do, too. I'm afraid if I share too much, she would never be invited to friends' houses.

Audrey's old enough, though, that she can take care of herself, and we have set times that she texts, and we stay in touch.

18. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven's never been on a sleepover either nor has he been invited to one. That includes family and relatives:(

19. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

No. Never mentioned it to anyone. Lauren has frequent sleep-overs with friends and usually runs high on those party nights anyway :). She does know to be conservative correcting and to let herself run a little high.

20. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I'm surprised by how many people don't tell others about the glucagon. After diagnosis, we left ours in the cupboard all the time until we were on a trip. While it was still in her pack from being gone, she hit the worst symptom-wise low we've seen, and I was afraid we were close to needing it. Ordinarily, we would not have had it with us. Since then, it's zippered into the diabetes pack with her epi-pen. She went to a swimming party last Saturday, and I mentioned to the mom that it was in the pack if needed. I also said we have never used it, and I didn't foresee a problem.

I guess for me, I would rather mention its availability to others. I imagine how guilty I would feel if something happened to someone else's child in my care. I would want to know how to help, not regret that I hadn't done everything possible to pull the child out of the low. This probably stems from living with a sibling and looking at the glucagon as a help; it had never been used in my home, but I knew it was there if needed. It's a mental comfort and protection for my child. I also wouldn't want a friend to feel I believed they are incompetent to administer the glucagon. To leave someone feeling helpless in a crisis is worse in my opinion than taking a minute or two to show them the glucagon. Just my two cents.