- advertisement -

Sleeping with a pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mape18, Apr 3, 2013.

1. mape18

mape18 Approved members

My son is moving to a pump in a few weeks. I am so stressed out, but trying hard to not let my son see this. My head is spinning with silly thoughts of how he will sleep with the pump on, how he can stay active (an believe me he is VERY active) without the infusion set ripping off. It seems like there are a lot of products to hold the pump (he will be using the t-slim). Any opinions as to what is best for sleeping, playing lacrosse, jumping on trampolines, hiking through the woods, playing tag....

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

Hi, how old is your son?

I'm on a pump (not the t-slim) and honestly the infusion sets arn't quite as fragile as you would expect=) I've caught my pump in a truck door and had the pump swinging under the truck with out it falling out/breaking=) I'm constantly banging it on the counter in out kitchen... or getting it stuck on door knobs and in the couch. I think I've had maybe five sets "rip off" in the past two or so years I've been wearing it=D

For sleeping with it, you'd be amazed how little it affects sleeping... I'm a very light sleeper and it doesn't bother me at all=) I some times stick it in my sports bra ( not really an option for your son;-) ) but mostly I just lay it beside me, sometimes it's on the floor in the morning but it's usually still attached;-)

The best advice I have for new pumpers is don't be too scared to break it, their very durable, and when they do break (which does happen...) the company will replace it=)

Pumping is amazing=D I would never go back to shots and honestly it doesn't slow me down at all, I do pilaties with it on, jump around our sail boat, baby sit children and chase them all over the place, I'm not into sports but I do act and as long as you plan ahead he'll be fine!

Hopefully some people with sporty children will chime in with more specific advice about sports=D

3. mocha

mocha Approved members

I have invested in may pajama bottoms with pockets that will fit my pump for sleeping, and I've been doing that for almost 11 years now.

You can get the belts or the clips and see how your son likes them, but I honestly just prefer putting it in a pocket.

As for infusion site durability, they are way more durable than you would think, but I do have SkinTac and Hypafix (both available on Amazon) for sites that start peeling up or if it's in an area that gets sweaty or is prone to getting knocked off (like my arms. Why they come off there, I have no idea).

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Trust me, there are a lot of active pumping kids and they all sleep;)

The infusion set is not that easy to rip off. Yes, if the tubing gets caught on a door knob that will do it, but everyday activities and sleeping will not. Mine just lets the pump wander around the bed at night, during the day she shoves it in her jeans pocket and for sports uses a spi-belt.

5. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

pocket jammie bottems for matt. Otherwise, pump is darn near indestructable. He has been pumping for years, active as all get out, the pump survives nicely.

6. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

For a few years, we used pump paks during the day and night (From Pump Wear website). He would just strap the pump belt on and be fine all night. Now, at 9, he has self-"graduated" to just using the pump clip. He just clips it to his pajama waist band. We've never once had a problem, and he does thrash around at night a bit. Good luck!

7. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

My dd just wears hers clipped to her pajama pants, shorts etc and sleeps that way. Sometimes it comes unclipped but doesn't bother her.

I had to wear it for the saline trial before she started pumping. As she was so young they wanted me to wear it for a few days instead of confusing her by having her wear it while still getting shots. I am a VERY light sleeper who is easily disturbed by things in my sleep area/clothing not being just right. However I got used to it pretty easily, I was very surprised by that.

ETA-my dd is somewhat hyper and very uncoordinated etc. We had trouble at first but then we found Skin Tac wipes. I highly recommend this product, it keeps the sites on! Once we started using them we rarely lost sites.

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Molly's just floats around in her bed...never had a problem!

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

In my opinion spibelt is the best product.

For sleeping the pump just flops around in the bed! Sometimes he wears it in his spibelt but mostly not.

10. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Don't get scared off, but I'm going to tell you that there are a small handful of kids that don't sleep well with pumps. I think my ds might be the only one on these forums. He pulls sites out on a semi regular basis. I'd say on average, once every 5-6 weeks, but possibly more. He might just tug on it and we don't count it as a bed issue. We have a pump band http://www.pumpwearinc.com/pumpshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=23 that really helps. He doesn't wear it all the time in the summer, he gets too hot, but it helps when he wears it.

I need to buy pants that have button pockets, or sew velcro or snaps on the ones he has. Whenever he puts the pump in his pockets, it falls out not long after he falls asleep. My ds is a VERY active sleeper though. When he wakes up in the morning, his sheets and comforter are all over the place, most of the time not even tucked in at the bottom of his bed.

I'm sure my ds is a very rare case, but it does happen.

11. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I LOVE spibelts! I wear my pump in it during all sports, jumping on the trampoline, and running. They are super durable and pretty cheap compared to some of the other products. I have had the same one forever and it still looks brand new. I just toss it in the wash with my running clothes every few weeks.

For sleeping I just let my pump loose in my bed. I don't think I have ever ripped a site out while sleeping. I actually don't remember the last site I ripped out. I am basically the clumsiest person ever so if I don't have a problem your son probably won't.

12. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

My dd just sticks in her jeans pocket with the clip on the outside. She does all sorts of activities with it on including rough play with her brothers and we've never had any issues.

For sleeping she clips it to her pajama bottoms but once I do the night check, I just leave it in the bed. One night I went in to check and the pump was hanging by the tubing from the top bunk :eek:, site still attached, none the worse for wear.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Congrats on pumping, it is great. Try not to stress out, it is a learning curve and frustrating at times, but if you stress it will only make things harder to grasp...trust me, I was one of those people.

My daughter started pumping at 4, so she was your typical active, bouncy, getting into everything kid. In 7 years, we've only had one set rip out and that was because she caught it on a doorknob. As for sleeping, no big deal, she wears a pump pack and it just spins around with her when she tosses and turns. For certain activities she wears either a waist-it from pumpwearinc.com or a spi-belt. Both keep the pump close to the body and it doesn't flop around. You may find for certain activities he might need to take off the pump depending on how his BG's react...

14. mape18

mape18 Approved members

Thanks! I feel much better now. I was just wondering, how I have been trying to figure out things on my own for the last 10 years - how did I not know about this site before now??? :)

15. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

My 9 year old son always wears his pump in the spi-belt. It is so secure in it. During the day the belt is on his waist and at night we wrap it around his upper thigh. We've been doing it this way for 6 months with no issues. :)
    Nicole

16. mape18

mape18 Approved members

Just ordered a spibelt. Thanks for the idea.

17. calngavinsmom

calngavinsmom Approved members

Hello there! You have gotten your answer already but I thought I'd chime in with some reassurance :) My Son is 8 and has been pumping since February. He just clips his pump on his boxer briefs (that's all he will sleep in or he gets too hot) and he hasn't had an issue.

He has had one set come out on him but it was at school during gym class (basketball). Obviously you should ask your Doc, but ours have told us Gavin can be unclipped for up to two hours or longer if we do a quick clip in and correction bolus. So that is what we do for swimming lessons, and it is what we are planning on doing for soccer in the summer.

He LOVES his pump! I was just asking him this morning and he is very happy not to be using pen needles anymore :D

Good luck to you!

18. libbymom

libbymom Approved members

My son is almost 8 and we've been pumping for 7 months now. We love it! He is very active - basketball, baseball, racquetball, trampolines, hiking, swimming, etc. The only times we ever take it off are for swimming and showering. He's had a set get ripped out once, when it got caught on something at the park.

He wears a Spibelt or a tummy band. He prefers the tummy band for sleeping and it doesn't bother him at all at night.

Good luck! Once you get through the first 2 weeks, you'll love it.

19. jellybeanasmommy

jellybeanasmommy Approved members

I'm glad I saw this. We're not even close to being ready for a pump yet (just dx'd 2 weeks ago) but it was a concern I had. Another question was how do you shower/take a bath with a pump?

20. Austins mom

Austins mom Approved members

my 7 yr old son has a pump, it never bothers him with anything! He loves it..... Sleeping has not been a problem at all. He is very active, soccer, baseball, swimming, and basketball and has played all of these this season with the pump,. Its not stopping him from doing anything, just takes a few adjustments!! Good luck!

PS, Austin says he would never go back to shots and hes using one touch ping (because it has a remote) and we love it!