- advertisement -

Sleeping question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sarahconnormom, Sep 29, 2008.

1. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Thank you for all the replies. I think dh's main issue is a concern about whether or not Connor is resting well enough on the couch. Honestly, I think Connor sleeps more soundly on the couch most of the time because he is more secure. Sometimes my dh forgets to look at things from Connor's point of view. My dh was dx with T1 at age 19 so he never really dealt with the fears a young child has. Sometimes he forgets how much harder this is for a 7 year old. Sometimes my dh just has to be reminded that a 7 year deals with things much differently from an adult.

I think we will be able to come to the agreement that if he needs to sleep on the couch then he can but if he feels comfortable in his room that night then he will sleep there. To be honest, it is actually easier for me when he is on the couch. I can step out of my bedroom, test him and then go right back to bed. It takes a bit longer when he is in his room and I have to turn on the hall light which sometimes disturbs my daughter in her room.

2. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I think if he is sleeping well and isn't tired every day, etc, then the couch should be fine. Alex will probably be on the couch when he comes back from college for Winter break! LOL He may be bringing his gf to stay with us:eek:

But anyway, if Connor is sleeping and you and dh are sleeping (as well as a parent of child with D can), then it's working. Other options would be rearranging the bedroom situations so his bdrm is closer to yours (or yours closer to his) or using the moniter or someone (I think on this list?) was using a doorbell in the child's room as a way to call mom and dad...that might work.

Good luck

3. sarahconnormom

My dh and I had another discussion tonight and I think he really took the time to think about Connor's point of view today. I don't think he was really looking at this from a 7 year old's perspective. For now we have agreed that he can sleep on the couch if he feels like he needs to. We will look into a baby monitor or something similar when we decide to fully transition him back to his room.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think you're doing the right thing. Every night Jack wakes up in the night and comes into our room. We can't all sleep comfortably in the same bed, so I've made up a bed on the floor for him with our old comforter, and he curls up there, happy as a clam. (He calls it his "nest.") I'm sure one night he just won't wake up, and he'll spend the whole night in his bed, and that will be it. But for right now, he needs us during the night, and that's okay. It's a scary world, and sometimes you just need your mom close by. Nothing wrong with that. :)

5. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

Is there a room closer to yours, that he could swap with another sibbling.
    Then Connor and hubby both win,

What we did for the lows at night is the boys have a bell hanging on their bednobs they will ring if they need me

6. sarahconnormom

There is no way to switch rooms. The master bedroom is on one end of the house off the family room. The other 3 bedrooms are at the other end of the house.

7. mph

mph Approved members

Hi Melinda,:)
    From a psychological standpoint, an unfulfilled NEED never truly goes away. It will adopt another "satisfier" if needed. So it's best to do whatever it takes to fill his NEED now. He's a sweet little boy who NEEDS to feel secure. It sounds like sleeping near you on the couch is his security and thus filling that need. Perfect! ;)
    Blessings,