- advertisement -

Sleep over !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jace's Mommy, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Jace's Mommy

Jace's Mommy Approved members

OK, tomorrow Jace will be sleeping at a friends house for the first time ever and i am freaking out !!!!!!!

Can you all please tell me that it's gonna be ok?

2. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

How far away is the friends house? Do the parents have a basic knowledge on how to care for him or what to look for etc..what about his insulin shots? Or are you close by and will be able to do this? Am I freaking you out more? Im sorry..Im curious..Amandas sleepover days will come soon enough! Im in NJ too...

Of course you are nervous..I dont think that ever really leaves us..even when they are in the best of hands..:) I hope he has a wonderful time..

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You are going to have many of these "milestones" and none of them will be easy. And the first few are especially tough. But the key is to plan and prepare ahead of time as much as possible. It is hard to give advice without knowing details of the situation, which is what I think Amanda was getting at above. If you want to share those, great and if not at least know that there will be people here who will be awake at all hours of the night (me for one) to keep you company and get you through it. I think it is going to be fine. :cwds:

As your quote says...."We should not let our fears hold us back....."

4. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

We're in the same situation. DD was invited for her first slumber party and I've been an anxious mess since the invite arrived in the mail.

I will be watching this thread closely as I need some advice, too.

I'm already thinking:

1) I will make sure the parents have the important info necessary re: lows, symptoms, treatment of lows, etc.

2) DD will need to call me before she eats w/ her bg # and I will help walk her through bolusing w/ pump (omnipod--very easy to bolus).

3) I'm thinking maybe she should check her blood sugar every 2-3 hours and report to me for direction (she's 8 yrs old).

4) One final check before going to sleep---and this is where I get nervous---what if she is high and needs a correction? who will check her 2-3 hours later to make sure the correction amount was okay?

oh my, I'm going to be a bundle of nerves....

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

My advice on sleepovers it pretty simple. It's just one night. Focus on how your child can be safe and comfortable and have fun, and if that means letting them be "our of control" and running a bit higher than usual then remember rule #1, it's just one night. ;) Sleepovers are so important, I hope you can make it work and not be too stressed.:cwds:

6. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Incomplete agreement with Sarah.

7. Jace's Mommy

Jace's Mommy Approved members

We live in a town that is only 1.4 square miles big. So he'll be right down the street. We are gonna give him a cell phone to have with him so he can call to ask about foods or if he feel high or low. I will be running down to give him his shots. He just finished a week of basketball camp in town and did a really awesome job of taking care of himself. He can feel his lows as early as 69 and knows how to self treat. I plan on letting him run a little high. I feel like that's better then him crashing with all the running around that will be going on !
    But I am still a MESSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

I just recently met a mom with a diabetic teenager.

Her advice on sleepovers was to let the kid run a bit high. It's just one night and you can correct first thing in the morning.

I think that's much better than risking a low....