- advertisement -

Sleep bolus-ing

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CaitlynGrisham, Mar 30, 2013.

1. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I've been away at college for the past six or seven months, and I've been encountering a rather unsettling problem as of late. Over the last three weeks, I've started to bolus in my sleep. I've noticed that it's always after I dream about food or eating (I seem to be accounting for my dream food)! I am getting nervous, because I am alone in my dorm room 99% of the time. It makes me anxious that I'm giving insulin in the wee hours of the morning when I'd normally have no IOB.

Thankfully, I've only been dosing pretty small amounts that usually fall between 2 and 5 units.

I've tried locking the pump, but I seem to unlock it in my sleep, so that doesn't present a huge roadblock for sleeping me. I've also tried tucking the pump into my pillow instead of laying it next to me or clipping it at my waist, but I still do it.

I don't really know how to go about solving this problem.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter says to try going into Utilities and then Block. You then would have to turn Block off to bolus or anything, but she thinks it would be harder to turn off than KeyLock because of how many keystrokes and going through the menu it requires. If you used it only at bedtime and not during the day, maybe your brain wouldn't learn the pattern as part of a bolus?

Emma, who used to post frequently, wrote of sleep bolusing. Someone else recently posted that their child bolussed during the night - and even had to get up and reconnect to do so since they use untethered.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Hmmm....would you consider using a shot for basal and disconnecting the pump alltogether during the night? I'm not sure what else you could do. That's a tough one.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I just tried this. I think it would work. Go ACT-> Utilities -> Block -> On

To bolus you would have to go through that sequence of steps but go Block-> Off. Clicking the bolus wizard or manual bolus does nothing. Also, just checked the easy bolus doesn't work either. That should help!

Also, 5 units would drop by blood sugar 820 points! Not sure how much you usually bolus for but I have my max bolus set to 2 units. I would at least set yours to a number that you can eat enough carbs quickly to counteract if this happens again. Every so often I have to go over that but it is easy to just go in and do multiple manual boluses for the suggested amount. You wouldn't want to bolus like 20 units or something and have to use glucagon.

5. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Do you have a cgm that will alarm for lows?

6. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Is it possible that the sleep-bolusing is an activity that is happening while sleep walking? Alcohol consumption or magnesium deficiency are triggers of sleep walking. If you suspect a magnesium deficiency then dark green leafy greens are a good source of magnesium as is magnesium citrate, or epsom baths before bed.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

That was us, she got up, connected her pump, and bolused for 85 carbs - she ate some wedding cake in her dream. I think a complex lock, or maybe even changing to a very small bolus limit every night might be the only easy answer.

8. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

Could you maybe buy some sort of case for your pump and then lock it and hide the key? Anyway, that sounds terrifying!:eek:

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'd drop my bolus max as low as it could possibly go.

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

This is what I do. If you are able to over ride this in your sleep then I think some of the suggestions of using Lantus at night, or using a locked case are the only solutions. Good luck.ali

11. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

Thank you all so much for your quick replies! Sorry for the lack of response on my part.

I would prefer to stay off of the Lantus if I possibly can, because my blood sugar gets really unpredictable. With the pump, my basals change three times overnight; the ability to change basal rates really helps keep me flat over the course of the night. Although, if Lantus turns out to be the only solution, then I'll do that in the name of my own safety.

I haven't experienced this again since I posted this thread, but these events seem to happen over time and not necessarily back-to-back. So, I guess we'll see about that.

I am working on getting a Dexcom, but I'm in between endos at the moment. Thankfully, I made an appointment for two weeks from now with a new doctor. Hopefully that will go well.

I tried lowering the max bolus for the overnight hours starting tonight, so we'll see if something happens!

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

I don't think Lantus is the solution anyway - Coco sleep bolused and her pump was across the room!