- advertisement -

Slander or opinion (venting)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Becky Stevens mom, May 15, 2010.

1. canadianmomto6

canadianmomto6 Approved members

LOL!!! That is funny!

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

IMO there is NOTHING wrong with that.. and it's NOT slander/libel, it's at most, merely an OPINION.

We had a HORRIBLE teacher a few years ago (one of the reasons we opted to leave our local school) and she was really just a piece of work, so I completely get where you're coming from. Thankfully the school year is nearly over... and worst case, you'll be dealing with another school and a new set of teachers in a few years anyways :p

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

BTW, I totally agree with this.. I very nearly failed a calculus course in college because of this.. we were not "required" to do the homework, and if we did it was not graded. It's really hard to get any helpful feedback if you don't catch mistakes.

The irony is, of course, that later on I went on to work as a GRADER for this very same professor.. obviously he saw there was a problem, and did what he could to fix it. How I was told to grade though, was to choose 2-3 problems from the assignment, and only grade those. Which was better than nothing, but I still felt that it was lacking a lot - I often did grade more when I had enough time (I was only paid for 10 hours a week, and when you have a several hundred homework assignments to grade and record, that time goes quickly.

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Many teachers that I know either choose not to have FB friends who are their students or parents of their students, or not to participate on FB at all.

I have to say, I think that is a sound policy all around.

5. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

This is exactly why I don't have a facebook page! :D

6. Melancholywings

Melancholywings Approved members

I hate people who feel the need to spread gossip, she's just attempting to gain power by using you and the teacher. You could always depower her by approaching the teacher directly and say why you feel it's frustrating as a parent that you feel another child is holding your child accountable and grading the quality of your child's homework. Own your opinion. Then appolgogize, and tell her that your vent was never intended to hurt her and it's wrong that this other mom is attempting to rile people up by spreading gossip.

Your complaint is valid. And if his work is being graded by another peer and a minor, it shouldn't be applied to his grades.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Many schools now are prohibiting teachers from having an account.

I choose not to friend anyone from the school even though I'm friends with them. I don't want to put either of us in an akward position because of me liking to voice my opinion:eek:

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

At our school, the teachers are discouraged from friending any students, pat students, and parents...

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Im now thinking thats a good idea. There are several kids that have teachers as friends on FB and I really dont think thats a good idea. There should never be that type of friendly relationship between students and teachers. And now Im thinking between parents and teachers as well. Best to keep that distance.

10. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I don't think you did anything wrong. And short of just not participating on FB, this could have easily happened anyway. I am friends with both of Brandon's teachers, and one of Michael's. I went to school with two of them. The problem is, that even if I wasn't FB friends with ANY of them, we all have SO many friends in common, that if I were in your situation, any of our shared friends could go back and say something. I think this is what happened with you, right?

I mean, it would be horrible if they couldn't have FB accounts, because like I said, I have a lot of friends that are now teachers all over our district. Now, what I don't do, is approach any of the teachers on FB specifically about my children. I will either email through the school email, or call the school. I figure FB is a fun outlet for them and I don't want to make it a, "Hey, what did you assign for homework tonight?"

The other thing I don't do is not repeat anything the teachers say to my kids. One teacher will update about going to the doctor, and I won't tell Brandon that his teacher won't be at school that day. My older son's teacher (high school) will sometimes vent about how some of his students need to review elementary geography, or how he had to send someone out of the class because of throwing a fit, and I never bring it up to my son.

I don't want them to think that they can't vent to their friends without it getting back to their students. I think it should go both ways. Sometimes we parents are just fed up with ridiculous projects and need to vent, BUT I've told Brandon's teacher about this repeatedly in person, so...

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Internet. Put on your big girl panties and realize that anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of the World Wide Web. ;) :D