- advertisement -

Slander or opinion (venting)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Becky Stevens mom, May 15, 2010.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I posted something in FB yesterday but thought better and ended up deleting it because I was accused of slander and harrassment and virtually threatened by a staff member at a certain school with showing a certain other staff member my post. (which Im pretty sure she did)

My original post went something like this:

"How would you feel if your 6th grader was doing large volumes of homework just to find out that the teacher never looks at most of it? Approx 75% of my childs homework is never looked at by a teacher, instead its looked at briefly by another student called "the homework checker" who looks to make sure it was done then marks in a book that it was done. The homework is brought home and thrown in the trash! So my child has been wasting a great deal of time this past year in my opinion. How does the teacher know if hes comprehending the work or doing it correctly?

I went on to say that MY child used to love to read but now hates it because of the stupid book reports hes been having to do this past year.(they are extremely complicated and boring!)

Another staff member messaged people at the school about my post defending this staff member and posted this message on her wall:

"We tell the kids at school not to use FB to trash people. Adults would be wise to follow that advice as well. They never know whos reading their posts and what could be considered slander and harrassment"

Now I feel that this is just "the good old gal" network at play here but I did feel threatened enough by this that I went back and deleted my original post and unfriended this person. I felt that she had no right to pass this info on to the other staff member as I dont have her on my friends list. I never mentioned a name or a name of the school so therefore most people wouldnt know who i was talking about. Ive had comments from teachers at other schools that said its unfair that my child is expected to do this work but the teacher isnt expected to look at it.

I so cant wait till the end of the year!!!!:mad:

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

An opinion that can be used against you, I'm afraid.:(

Time to restrict access to your page for people like that.

I'm sorry it's gotten out of hand.:(

3. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Becky, I'm so sorry. I'd be upset if my kid had a lot of homework that was never acknowledged by the teacher.

Unfortunately, everything we put on FB is public and not everyone will agree and some will go overboard getting nasty with you---note, time to block some people!

4. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

Becky - I posted something here on CWD that came back to bite me. I didn't name any names or say anything that I wouldn't have said right to the person's face. It was the post about wearing medical id's in sports. A certain person "investigated" whether they were allowed or not and did a search on google. After "hours on the computer", this person came across my post on CWD. They read it, copied it and e-mailed it to several other people in town - at least 4 that I know of. I spent several hours that day shaking with rage, crying - and lost sleep over it, I might add. I felt violated. I realize that these posts are on the internet and that makes them public. But lets face it, the general public doesn't read them. This person found one and that is fine. It was the forwarding it to others that really upset me - I felt this person invaded a part of my life they had no place in. This person does not have a CWD, has NO IDEA what it is like to have one, and took something that has become such a Godsend to me and, at least for a few days, turned it into a negative. (I didn't post on CWD for several days afterwards). I moved on - this person just isn't worth the extra stress to me - I have more than my fair share of it as it is. But I learned a lesson that day. I am very careful what I post - I make sure that whenever I post something now, I would be OK with anyone in the world reading it. If I'm not, I either don't post, or I send private messages. And if the person I have referred to in this post happens to find this one and reads it, I am OK with that - you hurt me during an already very difficult time for me and my family.

I am sorry you had to go through this. I know exactly how stressful and upsetting it is.

5. Becky Stevens mom

I think thats the worst thing is that I feel violated by what happened. I have always supported the teachers at this school against what is considered an aggressive and toxic administration. I felt that the least they could do is support me but now I know thats not going to ever happen. This same person messaged another friend of mine and said "this is a great teacher, she demands alot from these kids and they are all doing real well in that class. So in other words my son and I are liars and dont know what we are talking about. She invalidated everything I said and made it seem inconsequential and petty. I have since unfriended her from FB. I hope she can live with her decision to keep her head firmly buried in the sand while my child and others are being abused.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

time to make some friend's lists. Not everything you post on your wall needs to be seen by every person on your list.

7. Becky Stevens mom

Michelle I wish I wasnt so dang computer/FB stupid! I know I have to learn to do that:( And these kind of things wouldnt happen. I have my privacy settings right so that only friends can see my stuff but obviously thats not going to cut it

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

How did she even see it if she's not your friend? Honestly, Becky, I wouldn't worry about it.. I remember replying to that post on your wall and I have to agree with you that what that teacher is doing is wrong. To bad if the others don't see it your way.. its your opinion and your thoughts.. Its NOT slander or harrassment in anyway.. you did say you were going to attack her, you didn't give out false information.. nothing of the sort.. don't worry about it.. there are just certain people that you can't make happy and no matter what you say or do they'll talk about it.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

http://www.facebook.com/help/?safety=general

10. Becky Stevens mom

Anther teacher that I have as a friend decided that it was her duty to share my post with her via e-mail Im sure. I will probably hear about it Monday or worse yet my son will in the form of further abuse. I tried to be factual in my post and said what displeased me about her teaching style but the teachers at this school will defend each other to the end. They have defended another teacher there that was going to the bathroom 10+ times per day and smelled strongly of alcohol. she recently went on indefinite leave.

11. Becky Stevens mom

12. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

Becky,

Just wanted to offer my support and to say I am sorry.

13. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

You have a right to your opionin. It is your fb page if they dont agree or want to hear it then , delete. Simple. I agree. Alot of what kids do for homework means nothing. They dont check it here half the time either, so how do you know if they are really learning it then right. They give you a A for doing it but dont care if you learn it.

14. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I do not think what you posted on facebook was a big deal at all. You did not mention names or the school .... Maybe you can take this as an opportunity to talk to the teacher ... tell them you are sorry you posted it but that is how frustrated you are with the situation. It is hard not to be passionate when you see your son get so frustrated .. and what is it telling him about his work when the teacher does not take time to look at it?

Crystal

15. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Yep, I would block that person indefinitely.

And just to let you know, you are not alone. In one of my son's classes, samething is done, they just look to see if the homework is finished, but not if it is finished CORRECTLY... How are they to learn if it is not checked for correctness... Things have certainly changed.

16. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

17. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Becky all I have to say is you did say one thing wrong on one of your comments on this thread. That other teacher does NOT have her head in the sand, she has it up her arse.

18. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Why, Beth! That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

19. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Sorry Becky:(

20. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

I wouldnt worry about it...I read that post and I didnt see anything wrong with it...at all....
    (on facebook)....You didnt slander, you didnt use any names...
    Heres a status for you to use..."You're so vain...you probably think this status is about you" :)

Dont worry about it...as a parent you have every right to express what you did..the teacher dont like it? well maybe the truth hurts?