- advertisement -

Skinny kids and Insulin Pumps

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by Tyggirl, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

Hi Everyone.
    My daughter Emily was diagnosed in October 2011 and insurance is finally willing to approve a pump. Woohoo! The doctors office has booked a date in June for us to start and now we just have to pick a pump.

She did a trial with a real Pod with saline in it, but no PDM a few weeks ago. We placed the Pod on her arm. As my daughter is 5, and only 32lbs, 39" it looked like a dinner plate. LOL She complained about it at the end of the 2 day trial as it was flopping a bit, but she wasn't given any tape or band to hold it down. Which I expect she would need. She also did a "trial" with the fake sample one they send you on her bum and made it 48hrs without complaint. Then again it wasn't inserted so it was more a placement test.

She is currently doing a trial with the Sure-T sets with one in her leg. But I hooked her up with my old Cozmo (not on) to get a real feel for it as she would have to obviously carry the pump and be connected to tubing. Luckily(?) we have those supplies around. She only had it on for an hour before we tucked her into bed so we will know more tomorrow. I don't mind a tubed pump, but I can see the drawbacks on an active preschooler.

My question is has anyone successfully Podded with a super skinny child? I worry that her site choices will be limited to her arms and bum? And also on the insulin as she currently is on diluted humalog.

Thanks for any advice/experience you may have! And for reading my novel! Once we figure her out it will be my turn to pump shop! ;-)

Sherry
    T1 8/80, Hypothyroid 8/88, Celiac 1/11, PA 3/12
    Pumping Cozmo 7/08 to present
    Dexcom 4/11

Emily (5) - Celiac 7/11, T1 10/11 (diluted Humalog, Lantus)
    Claire (2) - Celiac 8/11, Non-D

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. coni1523

coni1523 Approved members

Skinny kids and pods..

My son is very skinny as well. But he does just fine on the pods. He just uses his arms and butt and legs. He really does not like the tummy. So we stay away from that area for now. I have some pictures of him on my page I believe. If not I will post some for you. The pod does look huge on them but I like the no tubing part. He would pull his out on slides, doors, ect... Anything that the tube could get caught on. LOL.... I hope this helps some.
    Connie

3. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

Thank you. It does. :) Now just to get the ball rolling!

4. Rapunzel

Rapunzel Approved members

We've never tried the pod. Only the One Touch Ping and my DD is 7 now, but you described her in detail when you posted your daughters stats. She was 5 when we started pumping. We ONLY use her tooshie. We've tried the angled insets on her tummy and they bother her terribly there, she gets red and itchy. It doesn't bother her at all, and she just tucks the tubing into her undies.