- advertisement -

Skin Discoloration?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by k.hawkins92, Nov 6, 2009.

1. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

Hey all,

I posted this in the teens section, but I thought maybe some of you might have an opinion on this as well....My mom and I have noticed that I have this skin discoloration on my neck, right about where my thyroid is. It kind of looks like a faded bruise, and it's been there for about a week. Anybody know what this could possibly be? It's not sore to the touch, so that makes me think it's not really a bruise. I just got over a small cold, but somehow I don't think it has anything to do with that. Any ideas? Is it D related?

Thanks for your help. :cwds:

2. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I don't know what it is. There is this skin thing called Acanthosis Nigricans, but you would have to see your doctor about the skin thing. Some people with diabetes have Acanthosis Nigricans but it can happen in healthy people as well. It is seen more in people of African American Descent than in other races. At the same time, I would ask your doctor about it.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We meet someone in our JDRF group that her teen daughter had this. It made her neck look dirty and and a doc I think told them it is from diabetes , maybe high numbers. I had never heard of this before.

4. Diana

Diana Approved members

Skin discoloration can also be a sign of other endocrine disorders (Addison's comes to mind - although I'm not sure it would present quite like what your describing). I would definitely get it checked out.

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Addison's also come to mind to me also. Carson has the antibodies and the endo told us to always watch out for any skin discoloration.

6. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

hmmm...alright. I'll look into the addison's thing, and call my doctor. Thanks for the suggestions! Very helpful. :)