- advertisement -

size comparison anyone?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by katerinas, Jan 2, 2015.

1. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

Hi Could someone compare the size of the sensor/transmitter of Freestyle Libre and Dexcom? A Picture would be nice!:)

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

much flatter profile, no visible adhesive - VERY well stuck...
    1501152_10205156630543452_1200240412353237083_o.jpg

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

meter comparison..
    DSCN0447.jpg

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

That's awesome! Thank you Jane. I am quite keen to get a Libre. It has been my experience that after a while they just ignore alarms - so the continuous monitoring and feedback is just wasted on them anyway. When they want to test a quick whish across with the meter would be easy. Thanks again Jane.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Jane, how long do you get out of a sensor? I have 2 adult friends who would love to have this, for size alone.
    Wonder if and when it will ever make it to the US...

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

The sensor lasts 2 weeks - it can't be extended. Some serial number in the sensor is activated when it is first 'scanned' and then it counts down day by day.

7. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Thanks Jane. What are your thoughts re the accuracy of one over the other? Comfort with insertion?

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I think insertion is easier with the Libre- its like applying a press down stamp onto paper(?) but that doesn't mean it hurts less.. just less fiddly.
    Accuracy seems good allowing for a bit of lag with fast moving numbers. When its off though ( and some sensors for others seem way off) - there is no way to calibrate or try to fix it - we haven't had a bad one, but I can imagine how frustrating it must be.
    We do get lower numbers at night and it seems a common thing. The Libre can scan at 3-4 (54-72) yet test at 5-6 (90-108) and it always seem to happen overnight NOT at other times. I can just about trust it to be slightly too low..

Abbott seem to be replacing bad sensors, falling off sensors and sensors suddenly stopping (security gates seem to void them) without problem..

9. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

Thank you! I am tempted to get one just for the size!