- advertisement -

Six pump questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BittysMom, Jun 13, 2012.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We use IV Prep wipe under the site and it sticks very well for us. I did buy this
    http://my.medtronicdiabetes.com/ec_ProductDetail?pid=a1SC0000000LqzCMAS

in case we do stomach sites. Those don't stay on for us well.
    These work on Animas or Minimed sets.

I use to have bubbles in the tubing more often in the years past on the Cozmo. I just don't know why. I still use the same method of taping with a pen. I do keep the insulin (even opened) in the fridge now. Thought I had heard that that would cause bubbles, but is the opposite for us.

I think you can have a bad site but not totally bad. If we have ketones on the blood ketone meter then I always change the site out. Or if several corrections do not seem to be working.

Seeing a bubble in the bottom of cartridge doesn't always mean you had one come out.

2. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Thank you. I've learned to be more patient with sites. Sunday is our first pool day so we'll see how it goes. She's due for a site change then anyway, so I think I'll first see how the site does on it's own. I've been using ivprep too and as long as someone :eek:cough*me*cough doesn't pull her pants down without thinking, they seem to stay put.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

There are sites that don't work so well. All of a sudden all sugars are slightly high and then go back into range with the next site.
    You are mixing terms here. The canula is filled once at the site change, but the pump can detect a problem and say it isn't primed at which time you disconnect and prime a couple of units here
    It was a problem about to happen.
    My son always has clothes on top of his site, but dirt could cause the adhesive to come off.
    Bolus that should be given is equal to the carbs eaten, plus the correction for out of range sugars. IOB counts for lows, not for highs.

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

Just wanted to add in on taping. We've been pumping for many years and we've never added extra tape to a pump site. When he's wearing them on his butt we simply use an alcohol wipe then iv prep. On the stomach we need extra staying power so it's alcohol wipe, iv prep THEN skin tac wipe.

You may not even need additional tape if you're prepping the skin properly.

We also never use the caps, and I've never worried about it getting dirty.

5. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Cold liquids contain more oxygen than warm. When you use insulin directly from the fridge, it will release oxygen as it warms up so you'll get more bubbles.

We keep our current insulin vial in our diabetic case so that it's at room temperature. When we get near the end of the bottle I get the next one out of the fridge so it will be ready for the next time. This is what our endo told us to do and we've been doing it for 4 1/2 years without any problem.

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

I am an adult and do not have scar tissue but do get bad sites even with a steel set. The steel sets were a big improvement for me over the teflon. But even with the steel sets I sometimes end up with a site that just does not work.Every two to three months. Like tonite...changed my site and four hours later I am at 300 after correcting an earlier 266...then 296... So I pull out the site check everything, all looks good, and poke it back in a new area, and now I wait to see. But for whatever reason the other site was not working. I do have abosorption issues after two and half days about 60 percent of the time with some insulin types. The two and half day limit is only true with Humolog and Apidra but not with Novolog. So in this case it is my own rejection of the insulin type, at the site, that is happening. I use Apidra so just change my site before three days. I am an adult with years of experience so I can elimate pretty quickly all other issues. But even with me it takes three to four hours to figure stuff out and the another couple, at least, to get things corrected.:cwds:This will be a long night for me. This bad site was just totally out of left field. New site, no issues etc. etc. But this does happen every four months or so. :eek:ali