- advertisement -

Sites for pumping?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cgbphp, Jan 11, 2012.

1. cgbphp

cgbphp Approved members

Hayden is 3 and has been pumping for about 5 months he uses sure t sets with his MM. I have seen on here people talking about using arms and legs as pump sites. I have only used the tush on Hayden because thats what his endo had suggested and we just switch sides for site changes. How does places it on an arm or leg work? He wears a pump pouch around his wasit so would I have to get some other kind of pouch to do a arm or a leg site? Also I tuck all his tubing in his pack so if I did and arm or leg with more tubing being exsposed is there a bigger chance of it getting tugged on. This may be a stupid question I just have never seen a site on a leg or arm and I guess I am just not getting it.

2. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

we just started pumping but our CDE said you can do arm sites by just pointing the tubing up and then putting the tubing up the sleeve and then down the back or front of the shirt to the pump pack. I havent tried it yet, we have just used the belly and butt. We have trouble with the belly because my son likes to suck in and it usually makes it a bad site (he is 3). I might try a leg site tomorrow though on changing time.

3. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

DS is also 3, and we use the Sure-Ts in the tush most often because that is what our clinic told us to do. He is a small, lean kid, so they told us that his behind was the only real option for him.

Having said that, thanks to posts from others on this board, we have branched out and tried the backs of his arms and the fronts of his legs. This has been especially important since we started using a CGM too. There is enough tubing to reach from the SPIbelt to the arm (the sticky part goes on his shoulder blade and the tubing then goes down to the actual site on the upper arm), and certainly enough for the leg. DS is not crazy about arms or legs, but it seems that the problem is not the sites themselves but the Tegaderm that we have to use to keep the sites on (because they are a bit more likely to fall off the limbs than the tush). When we are careful about tape quantity and placement, he doesn't seem to mind nearly as much.

So even if your son does not have a lot of fat on him, I would say that you should go ahead and try alternative locations, if you want to. The only thing we have not tried is the tummy because I just can't get my head around putting a needle into his flat little front. I know others do it and it works well for them, so maybe I will screw up my courage and give it a try some day!

4. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Took me sooo long to try the tummy on my son too. He is very skinny, and I had the irrational feeling the introducer needle would be too close to organs. Knew that was silly in my head, but it made me so squeamish!

With the help of those here (and a small bribe to my son!;), we did eventually try the tummy. We actually did not have good results, and went back to the butt, but will surely try again some time. The first time is definitely the hardest!

I always wondered how people did sites on the arm and where the tubing went. Makes sense now!

5. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

We used an angled set - silhouette. That allows us to insert into areas with less fat since you can control the angle (as long as you stay within tolerance). With that we use lower back, side of thighs and stomach. We rotates sides so that gives us six locations to rotate among, so we haven't felt the need to add arms.

As others have said, you just snake the tubing through clothes to get it to the pouch. Our's is a very active 5 year old who has been pumping for a couple of years and his activity (baseball, soccer, wrestling with big brother, general kid play) has never caused a problem with tubing.

6. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Connor has had his arm and leg sites get snagged more than his belly sites. He has better control with the arm sites so, I can either let the tubing stay loose in his shirt or lightly tape it to him to minimize it's ability to be snagged. his leg site pulled out when he had to go really bad and he didn't unzip all the way. He said he knew he caught the site but going was more important.

Angeles sites (inset30s work best for us on the Ping) for his legs and he likes straight sets for his arm.