- advertisement -

Site rotation?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kirsteng, Feb 7, 2014.

1. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

We're new to pumping (about 3 weeks), using a Ping on a 4 1/2 yr old.

We are using contact-detach(sure T's).

We have twice put sites on his love handle area (lower back), and each time he has complained that if he lays on his back he can feel the needle.

My husband thinks we can just use the 4 areas on the stomach for now, upper and lower stomach, each side. I personally think that's not enough rotation, and don't want to get our son in the habit of only using 1 area.

Arms are for the dexcom.. we haven't tried legs at all.

Do you think the stomach alone is enough? Would you continue to use the bum area (maybe a fluke with feeling the needle?) Should we try legs?

Ideas and thoughts welcome.

2. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

3. GChick

GChick Approved members

Maybe try using a non steel set for the back/bum areas (inset or something like it)? Or possibly its just too long and try a shorter needle contact-detach?

4. kirsteng

I think we have the 6mm, which I'm pretty sure is the shortest.

I haven't tried the others yet - we have some samples, but I was worried about occlusions etc. Do people use different sets for different body areas?

5. GChick

GChick Approved members

Yes, I do believe the 6mm to be the shortest. I'm honestly just as new as you, so I'm not sure if people use different sets for different areas... just trying to give options.

Occlusions are a valid concern I think if you insert and go straight to bed... otherwise I think you could be ok as long as you are able to test in a reasonable enough time after to see if all's well. All I have used so far is insets and have only had an occlusion once because I was over extending the time a set should be in anyway... but on this, YMMV and some people do have more issues than I have had thus far with sets though. Good luck with whatever you try.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  6. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Sophie uses Cleo's,she will pretty much use any site,bum is her fav followed by legs,love handles and tummy. The only issue we have ever had is she yanked one site out(and a g4 sensor,on the other leg),because she was in a hurry to get her pants up and just pulled them up without unbuttoning. Other then that she hasnt had any issues with leg sites

7. Ali

Ali Approved members

I would check with your Doctor. I find that some spots do hurt, tummy or love handles. I pull and put in a new spot when I insert and it hurts. A bad spot will hurt almost immediately. I do know people who use different sets for different body areas. A four year old is so small I really would work with my Endo on a very specific plan for site rotation. But I would not use a site that hurts, often it means you are hitting muscle and that will screw your numbers up.

8. kirsteng

Okay, thanks everyone for the ideas. I think I will definitely try some of the other sets we were given as samples, to see if they make a difference in the bum/love handles area. If we don't run into problems with occlusions, fantastic - otherwise we will get a plan for rotation when we next visit the endo in March.

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I'm a big fan of Insets/Mios. I find they very rarely kink (and I have never had one left in for less than 3 days have an issue). The built in inserter is awesome as well for getting them in quickly and painlessly. I find the contact detach/sure ts can be uncomfortable or bruise if bumped so I can see how a four year old might find them uncomfortable in certain spots :(

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've used his stomach exclusively for 6 years for sites and don't have any overuse issues.

11. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Besides the love handles, you can also use the upper bottom, above where the tush makes contact with the seat! :)

12. kirsteng

Thanks everyone! So far so good on this love handle insertion - it's been 1/2 a day, and while he did say it burned when it was inserted, he says it's been okay ever since.

We are going to try one of the other sets next time to compare though.

13. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Yes. We use sureT for stomach, and mio or quickset for arms and legs. The tubing ends up being shorter on the sureT so it works well for stomach sites, and we had trouble with kinked cannulas on his stomach so the needle fixes that. We get some longer tubes for arms and shorter for legs, and so far it works well for us. Ds really likes the Mios (I like quickset better) so we get a variety of sets each time we order.

I suggest you rotate more than four stomach areas. Good luck. :)