- advertisement -

Site coming off in the pool

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momto3, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

Hi everyone,

The last few times DD has gone swimming her site has either fallen off or very close to it. We've tried band-aids but sometimes those come off too. Does anyone have suggestions?

She swims a lot and the last three weeks are the only times this has happened. We used to have the opposite problem where her site seemed like it was cemented to her skin.

Thanks for any help!

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I'd try one of the stickier tapes, like flexifix or hypafix that covers the whole site, and if that alone isn't enough, then add skin-tac or mastisol underneath both the site and the extra tape.

A bandaid isn't going to help much.

3. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

Thanks for the reply. Will any drug store carry those items or is it something I need to special order?

Sorry to sound so basic! After almost two years, I feel like I should know something like this but I don't.

4. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

Just found the items on Amazon and I see I can order some of the items through Animas.

Thanks again for the reply!

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

You'll have to order them.. hypafix is cheaper and can be ordered through amazon (w/ free shipping over $25 or if you have prime - they have 2" and 4"). Flexifix costs a bit more but the roll will last a very long time, I've found it the cheapest (with the cheapest shipping) through here.

2" tape is probably wide enough.. 4" is overkill for pump sites but works better for CGM.

6. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

Thanks so much for the link. I'm going to place an order now.

7. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I really like mastisol for pump sites in the summer. It adds better adhesion without additional tape (which can get itchy when sweat and chlorine get underneath it). You can get a bottle of liquid mastisol online that will last forever.

You're right, bandaids are no good for keeping a pump site on in the pool!

8. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

Hypafix!!!?

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We used to use Tegaderm. It held up pretty well in water, but then my son started to get itchiness under it so we switched to Hypafix. But Hypax, I find, does not hold up well in water, so we started covering it with Flexifix Opsite.

10. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

I use two IV3000 patches over top of DD's pump sites... one to cover the site, and another to overlap and cover a bit of the tubing. This seems to help a lot with keeping it in place.

We use Mastisol (love that stuff) that I spray directly on the adhesive patch of the Dexcom site... just using a paper or even my finger to cover the spot where the needle (catheter) actually comes through. We also cut IV3000 patches with a hole in the middle to put over top of DD's Dexcom sites.

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

Opsite Flexifix in the roll (4" wide) has worked well for us. I used to use Skin Tac but that doesn't seem to work anymore - no idea why.

12. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

This summer I've taken her legs out of our usual site rotation and kept them on her belly and bottom. I've found that with her swimsuit over them, the slight pressure helps to keep them on. Plus, it's less likely to snag on something during that critical wet-and-about-to-peel-up-stage.

13. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

I have great luck with Skin Tac Wipe-- we get it from Minimed. The only time we've lost sites swimming have been when they get bumper or tugged on. Good Luck

14. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I have tried a whole slew of stuff and have now consistently used opsite for over 3 years. Mind you it's not a perfect solution, especially if bethany has been in the water for hours on end but I have found opsite to be more durable than tegaderm. Other options are skin tac but due to her sensitive skin we couldn't continue use of it. We use cavalon skin barrier wipes as well which makes the skin a bit tacky and also adds protection.

HTH