- advertisement -

Site Changes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Shopgirl2091, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

How often do you change your child's site - do you change it every 3 days because you are supposed to, or do you wait longer and just go until the site fails?
    Up until now we have been changing every 3 days unless there was a problem like having it fall out, but I am interested if anyone goes longer. We are pumping with Humalog, and I have been changing the reservoir every six days because he only uses 60 units in that amount of time.

2. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

Our sites will stay on and won't cause any skin problems for 3 days, but after 2.5 days...his numbers start sky-rocketing so we have to change. I know I have read elsewhere on this forum that others have been successful up to 4 days.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We change every 3 days. We have had "oopsies" and gone longer, but usually by 3 days, his site is showing signs of irritation and it's time.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We occasionally forget or can't recall when we did a site and will go longer than 3. Once we had a site that wouldn't quit and in the "interest of science" :p we let it go till the numbers went bad - I think it was day 7 :cool: But generally we try to change at the 3 day mark.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We have had those , 5 day sites. But, I do not like those. The way i think of it is that I do not her body to create an assault on the site.

I like to think of it as a scab. If you leave it alone, it will heal quickly. If you bother it daily ( blousing & basal) it will take longer to heal and maybe leave a scar.,

6. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

Personally, I start getting skin reactions if I leave my sites on more than two to two and a half days. After the reactions start to show, the numbers start to rise, too.

I have a friend, though, whose sites last for upwards of four days just fine. She's using Humalog, as well.

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh changes her site whenever she's out of insulin. Depending on how much she eats that can be anywhere from every 2-4 days

8. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

We started changing it every 2 days and we change everything out even though my daughter barely goes through 40 units. Works alot better for us every 2 days then 3 (esp since its been so hot) and my daughter doesn't mind at all since she gets $1 for every site change lol.