- advertisement -

Site changes every 5-7 days?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Willy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Willy

Willy Approved members

I always thought the sites should be changed every 3 days. My SO is of a differing opinion. What are the risks (if any) of keeping the site in for 5-7 days if they are still functioning perfectly fine?

2. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

3 days is usually recommended. Some people can go 4. If you leave a site in too long it could become infected, you could develop absorption issues or skin allergy issues.

3. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We have done 5 occasionally, not intentionally tho. We haven't had any issues doing that but I don't want to make it a habit for her.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We once had a site that lasted 7 days ( I think, it was 7). It became a bit of a science experiment after 4 and we let it run out of curiosity and dumbfoundedness.:p Granted , she was much younger and it was summer so she was not in school and with us all the time so we felt safe in pushing it just to see how long it would carry on. But that was akin to finding a potato that looks like George Washington. Cool, but not a common occurrence :cool:

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Infection would be the risk.

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Also, besides infection couldn't that site be more prone to developing scar tissue?

7. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I think scar tissue and hyperlipodystrophy occur. Our kids need to hang on to good, usable real estate for many years, we need to protect that real estate.

8. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

I use mine (silhouettes) for at least seven days - often longer - and have never had a problem in more than 10 years of pumping. Never an infection; no scarring or absorption issues. My numbers are almost always good. I also reuse reservoirs and tubing.
    I honestly have a hard time getting past the conflict of interest in the manufacturers dictating rotation time. The shorter the time, the more they sell.
    The bottom line is you do what's comfortable for you, both literally and emotionally. My numbers and my health have been fantastic for years and years so why change?
    But if someone else has a different approach, that's fine too.

9. Lee

Lee Approved members

You are 51, this little monkey is 17 months. Do not leave sites in for 5 to 7 days. All the reasons mentioned above - infection, poor absorption, those bumpy things that make it so you can't use the arm for 3 months, etc, etc, etc.

ETA - I am only pointing this out because you are responsible for your own care and have only yourself to blame if something happens. These parents have much more at risk with a much longer time span ahead of them, as well as a toddler who is not vocal enough to tell them about stinging, burning, painful lumps, etc ,etc, etc.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  10. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I "used" to leave sites in longer then 3 days, I've learned my lesson, lots of scar tissue now!

11. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We used to do 3 1/2 days because it was so convenient and easy to remember when it was Sunday morning and Wednesday night. Then...we ran into "no delivery" twice and the pump people checked everything and decided that she was healing too quickly - growing tissue over the cannula. They said go to 2 days. We typically 2 1/2-3 but even at that point we have issues with her going high. 2 days is really, really effective in her. Not sure about the whole 'tissue growth' theory but I do know that for us the recommended length of time is pretty ideal.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are supposed to change every 2.5 days, we stretch to 3. We've gone 4 by mistake, but with fair results. Numbers weren't as good, sets started to peel, skin was really irritated.

The biggest thing to worry about is infection.

13. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

We always do 2 days now. We would regret when we'd go beyond that. It seems that we'd get blood in the canula (that we couldn't see in the tube) or just suddenly be looking at a 300 number!

14. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

We never go over 4 days. I can't say I would recommend any longer than 3-4 days for a young one...too many what if's.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I try to change every 3 days, but sometimes it's day 4 before I remember. We've never had a site infection, but I can tell that the sites take longer to heal the longer I leave them in. I would make it your goal to try to change every 3 days.

16. Willy

Willy Approved members

OMG I love this!!!!

17. Willy

Willy Approved members

Thank you every one for your wonderful responses. It made me cry to think that he may be in pain, develop scar tissue, have issues down the road....all very valid points.

18. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I think part of it is to watch how your child heals, too. For us we have to change Isaac's site every two days because his skin is sensitive, he takes a long time to heal and his absorption becomes very slow if we go over two days. Often we push it to 2.5 days due to timing problems, but even then we can tell that it's an overdue site change for him.

19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

What?s SO ? Significant Other ?