- advertisement -

Site changes at school

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by boaznruth09, Mar 19, 2011.

1. boaznruth09

boaznruth09 New Member

My daughter just recently got her insulin pump. Her first day at school with it, there was a substitute nurse. I was going over different aspects of the pump with her, showing her how to use it, etc. When it came to site changes, she told me she "does not change sites. I have not been trained in how to do them, and I won't do them". I was kind of taken aback and said, well ok, I guess if it needs to be done, call me (knowing the regular school nurse will do it without incident). The next day was a different substitute nurse. We again went over all the aspects of the pump, etc, but didn't talk about site changes. Come recess timed we had an issue with the site needing to be changed. She called me and I had to drop what I was doing, drive 30 minutes, and put a new site in.

The regular school nurse was back on Friday, and we discussed all this. She was not happy either. She spoke with her supervisor (who is not a nice woman, trust me) who then shared that it is district policy that no nurse change a site.

My question after the long drawn out scenario :) are school nurses required to change sites if they need to be? I have been searching American with Disabilities Act and American Diabetes Association trying to find the answer, with no success.

Thanks for any guidance you can give. :)

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Most nurses don't need to change a site, but I would say that you will get lots of parents stating their nurse (or someone else at the school) does indeed include site changes as part of the diabetes care of a school child.

It sounds like you need a medical plan from the endo and a 504 (assuming you are in the US). These nurses were out of line.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

If you call 1-800-DIABETES and request their free school discrimination kit, there is a from in there to put you in touch with one of their lawyers for a free phone consultation. They have some great lawyers to give advice for situations like this.

I think the bottom line is probably if the doctor writes in orders for set changes then the nurse can do them.

However I think a lot of parents prefer that the school not do set changes. Generally they are so infrequently required even if the nurse is well trained, she/he may forget after many, many months of never doing one. My son has been pumping since he was 2 yrs old - and is in 3rd grade now. After 3.5 years of school he has probably had a failed set at school twice (and I went to change it).

Our back-up plan is to go to shots if I cannot get there. He has fast acting insulin and syringes and can always get a shots. I prefer this rather than having the nurse do it. I know I could "require" her to do it but I think it is in our best interest to not have her do it, since she would be doing it so infrequently I could not blame her for having poor technique or messing it up.

If you are having a lot of problems with failed sites, I'd suggest another infusion set or a different location. I know it is hard when starting the pump!

Welcome to CWD!:cwds:

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Interesting question. I never thought about having them do a site change. I actually wrote in DD's plan that if a site needed changed they would call me. I would either drive down (or send DH or Mom to do it) or have them switch to injections for the balance of the day. In one semester, I went in once for it - complete user error. I had loaded the pump, inserted the site but never actually primed it. :eek: Yeah, not a shining moment. :rolleyes: For me, personally, I would rather have them stay out of pump changes as they would need to do them so infrequently that I think it would be hard for them. Plus, DD wouldn't like it.

There was another T1 in DD's class and I believe his plan was injections, too. I'm curious now and want to see what others do :)

5. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

You could research your state laws and fight it if you wanted too. I've never asked a school nurse to do this. My DD would be very uncomfortable with this at school, so they just call if there is a problem.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Wow, I am a little surprised. I thought there would be lots of parents whose school nurse could change the site. I can see why it would be a problem -- this sort of things doesn't happen often during the few hours a kid is at school.

My son was 12 when he switched to pump therapy and he has done all his site changes. If he doesn't want to do it during the school day, he has syringes and insulin to get him through to the end of the day.

He hasn't had to do many site changes in 4.5 years.