- advertisement -

Sillouettes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ehacker, Aug 24, 2011.

1. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

Endo has us switching from MIO's to Sillouettes. medtronic mailed them out but said they could not send me the sil-serter bc insurance will not cover it. do we need the sil-serter or is it just an extra peice of equipment we dont need?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

You can insert sils manually, but the needle is pretty long, and you need to make sure you get the angle right. I think I would have been intimidated without the inserter at first, but I could do it by hand when I tried.

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we've never used the serter - always have done them manually from day one. They're super easy. Just pinch up the skin and slide it in. I like that without the serter you CAN insert at any angle you wish. :)

I'd give it a try manually and see how you like it. If you find it's easy enough then you never have to worry about having the serter. :)

Oh and make sure they send you the silhouette with the short needle. They come in two sizes. You want Silhouette 13.

4. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

I totally agree with the above. I've been using silhouettes for years and years and have never used an inserter. The one I was given was a piece of junk anyway.
    It is really, really easy to put them in and all the talk about hitting the angle is overstated. It's hard to do it wrong. And, most importantly, it's almost painless even with the long needle.

5. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Reann and I both used the sils for years and never used the serter.

6. Tracee

Tracee Approved members

We've not used the inserter either and not had a problem. CDE used it for the test GCM and my son didn't like it so we didn't get one once he started on his pump. the needle looks a little intimidating but you get used to the angle you need and my son says he hardly feels it.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

When I used them I preferred not using the serter.. the serter caused more problems for me than it attempted to solve. You probably won't miss it if you don't have it, but the long needle can look pretty intimidating at first - you will get used to that though, then the other sets will seem SO short if you ever switch back :)

8. ehacker

ehacker Approved members

Thank you guys :D

9. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

Our CDE, who has used the Sils on herself often, recommend not using the inserter. She said it was actually more difficult with it so we've never used it. It was nerve wracking the first few times but we all got used to it quickly.
    Good luck!

Lynne

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We do not use the serter.