- advertisement -

Silicone bracelets

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

This is going to be a little long.

We were at the clinic last time and the nurse asked us if we had a diabetes alert bracelet. I answered that we did but it did not fit right and showed her that it was on the handle to our backpack. She gave us a silicone bracelet that said "I have diabetes", it was pink, it was waterproof, and it fit.

Unfortunately about a month later the writing wore off. My daughter loves it and still wears it but of course it is no good.

So I decided to go online and buy a new one. I found some that were gaudy and red and looked kind of scary. I found a set of ten for about $30 with no shipping and handling but they were all adult sizes. I found that I could buy just one in the right size for less than $4 but then shipping was about another $4. After seeing a set of ten all in cool colors for about $3 each I did not want to spend close to $8 for just one that would wear out in about a month. I did see some that were embossed and I imagine that they would last longer but they still seemed to cost too much for a single bracelet.

Some of the sites I visited did not indicate the sizes and some of the sites I visited did not let one know how much the shipping was going to cost - frustrating and poor web design.

So does anyone know of a site that sells a set of embossed or un-embossed silicone bracelets in cool colors for about $30 or less including shipping and handling? Or are there stores where one could go in and just buy one?

2. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

3. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Thanks,

That might work since the site says that the words won't rub off. So each one would be about $7.50. I hope that is what the shipping turns out to be since when I looked at that site it doesn't indicate what the shipping will be, I suppose, until after I fill out the form.

4. tbcarrick

tbcarrick Approved members

cool med ids
    My son is very happy with them..I did however buy 2 sets,so I'd have an extra..

5. lisahackman

lisahackman Approved members

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My DD loves the ones from www.coolmedid.com as well. The shipping is the same for the first 9 ordered, so I ordered her a variety in both sizes. Right now she's wearing the smaller ones, but they're getting snug. I ordered 3 colors she liked...and then ugly gray/red ones for when she's going swimming without me. I want one that screams "Type 1 Diabetes" to a lifeguard or paramedic then!

7. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

8. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Another vote for cool med id's here.

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

We are huge fans of these as well. Each additional color is only $1 and the id is easily changed from one band to the other. Great value and they really hold up well!

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have this too, the small size is great for slim wrists in kids. My only wish is that they had a medical alert symbol to add. I put that on my feedback. Otherwise, excellent product and excellent customer service.

11. manda81

manda81 Approved members

http://coolmedid.com/store.php?pg1-cid49.html

Same here. =) My son loves these. I do order them in red, because I think it would get first responders attention quicker (that's probably just in my head, but it makes me feel better). ;)

12. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

http://www.mediband.com.au/

This is the best I've found thus far. It's an Australian company but they ship anywhere in the world. It took longer than I would have liked for my order to get here (Tokyo), but it was well worth it. I had ours customized ... it has her name, Type 1 diabetes, my and my husband's phone numbers, and "Give sugar....." I don't remember the exact words right now.

13. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members