- advertisement -

Sick teenager

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Corinne Masur, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

My 14 year old has a fever of 101. He was over 300 after dinner and I gave him the bolus suggested by the bolus wizard on his pump. Two hours later (while asleep) he was 328. Again I gave him the bolus suggested by his pump. Any other ideas to bring him down???

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

I would check for ketones and would also do an increased temp basal. Test, test, test during the night. I hope he's feeling better soon! :cwds:

3. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

He might need more insulin than what your pump is suggesting. I have noticed the higher the bg the more insulin needed to bring down my dd's #. I usually adjust the ISF when she is over 300. Have you checked for ketones? If you can use a blood ketone meter. I hope your son feels better soon! :cwds:

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yep. Increase the correction and an increased temp basal. And lots of testing. Sorry he's sick! :(

5. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

When she's stuck like that I usually give 50% more than the pump recommends. Sometimes we'll also have to run a temp basal along with that. And lots and lots of testing. Hope he's feeling better and within range soon...

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

How is he doing today?

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Yes, this. I would be more aggressive with the temp basal. It really helps, along with spaced corrections, to bring down stubborn highs.

8. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

What everyone else said. Be sure to hydrate with extra water or other sugar-free liquids too.

9. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

Echo all of this. Test for ketones, hydrate, temp basal. I know my DD becomes very insulin resistant when she runs a fever. Hope he's feeling better today!