- advertisement -

Sick, sick, sick

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MissEmi, Aug 31, 2010.

1. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I am sick today, my first day of school. I went onto campus, but had to leave. I have had diarrhea all day, thrown up once, and am running a 101.8F fever. I don't have ketones, and my bg has been in the low 200s for the better part of the and is now 142.
    Anybody have any suggestions on stuff your kids like to drink when sick?? I've tried diet Sprite (or zero or whatever it is) and unsweet tea, but they both leave bad aftertastes in my mouth, and I can't drink water (it triggered the vomiting). I have not eaten anything since last night, and am kinda scared to eat. I really, really need some liquids. Advice?

2. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

What about sugar free popsicles or diet gingerale? That's what Cass gets.

3. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I have some sugar free popsicles and some low low carb ones. I will try it! Thank you!

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

gingerale or coke can both help settle the stomach. I think you can get pedialyte popsicles to help with rehydration too.

I hope you feel better soon!

5. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

try some G2 by gatorade that seems to help my son when he isn't feeling well. feel better.

6. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

gingerale and popsicles
    mine likes the sugar free grape koolaid too

you might eventually need the carbs so regular gingerale might work

GL

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

If popsicles work, go for the sugary ones.. at some point you are going to need to bolus to keep the ketones away.. you need the carbs right now.. you should also try gatorade.. but make it COLD, tastes much better than warm.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

8. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

peppermint tea is supposed to help settle your tummy, try with some honey. Ginger tea can also help

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Sometimes having teaspoons full of liquid can help to get it down, rather than taking actual sips which can trigger more vomitting. Your BG is okay, so liquid is your main priority.. but if you can take something with sugar, it's best if you can bolus to keep the ketones away.

Hope you're feeling better really soon!

10. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Thanks everyone. I have kept down one popsicle and am eating another. So far, so good as far as ketones are concerned. I think I will get my dad to pick me up some gatorade on his way home. If I do start getting ketones, I DO have some carby popsicles.
    ETA: I think what kept the ketones down is that I DID take a 3.8u correction around noon. I had had .6 ketones at the time, but they had gone down by the time I posted this.

11. Tena

Tena Approved members

I am Emily's mom.

Emily has now kept down 2 popsicles, thank God! She is sleeping now.

This was our first real stomach bug with D. (in 3 1/2 years). I am thankful we have been able to keep her out of the ER today. She started with diarrhea this morning then the vomiting started around noon or so. She is also running a fever.

We are checking bg's and ketones about every 2 hours and so far she has been okay. We did a correction at noon as she was 216 but no ketones. Bg came down nicely. At 2 she was 142 and at 4 she was 136.

I am going to let her sleep but will wake her up to check again at 6.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

taking that correction at noon helped a lot with the ketones, I'm sure.. hope you are feeling better!

13. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

Heres ((((((cyber hugs)))) to both of you... hope she feels better real soon..