- advertisement -

Sick days...UGH!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Carrie, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Carrie

Carrie Approved members

Everyone in our house has been passing around this yucky cough for the past week. Our daughter's with D turned into croup over the weekend. She ran high all day yesterday with ketones (0.3 to 1.7). Did a site change around supper last night. By 11 p.m. she was running a fever. By midnight, she had 1.7 ketones. Did correcting and basal rates of 110% through the night. All of the sudden, at 9:30 this morning, she was a 325 with 3.6 ketones!!!:eek: Panic was an understatement!! After two sleepless nights, I literally just kinda walked back and forth trying to get my head yanked together as to what I was going to do next! I called my husband and he just kept saying, "stop crying...stop crying". :D After a call to the nurse (I expected panic from them too, but she was very calm. By noon, she had had 13 pages!!), an injection, running a basal of 110%, another site change, and lots of water, she dropped to 118 and .5 ketones within a couple hours. Ever feel like diabetes is going to age you very quickly?!? The new slogan for mom's of diabetics..."Coffee and Clairol, that's what I need!"

Hope all of your kiddles stay healthy this winter!

2. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I hear ya! Bethany had a cold 2 weeks ago, then a UTI, then another cold. THEN, my 15 month old had a fever of 104 2 nights ago and threw up 3 times. He is now on motrin every 6 hours to stop his fever from going to high. They both have a viral infection so there is no antibiotics for this mess. Bethany's fevers have been low grade but I am terrified that she will get worse with Andrew's illness. But thank goodness her sugars haven't been that crazy.

The flip side is that I'm fine...but it'll hit me when it leaves them!

3. Mojo's mommy

Mojo's mommy Approved members

Can definrtly relate,Courtney had some weird thing, would not eat, or drink for 36 hours. Blood keytones were 4.3..Keytones are still 1.9 though
    Finally got her to eat, she vomited and has been fine ever since. The bug needed to find a way out I suppose.:eek:

4. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

yeah , well our family went to a special event, and the family sitting behind us sounded sick. and were coughing and their noses sounded very congested. after a while i did not want my daugher to sit there anymore. so we got up and sat out in the lobby. and what you know, i got it a week after. and then my daughter got it. but she healed up faster then i did. i am still trying to get rid of my cough.