- advertisement -

Sick Day Kit

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abby-Dabby-Doo, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I've read a lot of threads lately about children being ill. I was just curious who out there has a sick day kit? If so, what do you have in it? Where do you keep it? I'd like to know if there is something I should add to our kit.

We do have a sick kit, and we keep ours in the laundry room. That way it stays out of the kitchen and it avoids the chance that somebody would get into it.
    What we have in it
    Ketone Blood strips (2 boxes)
    Ketone Urine Strips (you never know)
    Thermometer
    Anti Nausea Liquid (over the counter)
    Motrin
    Sick Day Instructions from the Endo
    Small cans of 7 up (Abby doesn't like fizzy stuff but it's there for an emergency)
    G2 (low carb Gatorade)
    Snow Cone syrup (loads of carbs)
    Carb Free Snow Cone syrup
    Suckers (ring pops to add a little fun) all flavors
    Pixie Styx
    Package of syringes

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

sno cone syrup?????????????????????? what an amazing idea!!!!

Ok, so how do you make snow cones? Ian can't stand popsicles but he would gobble up a snow cone.

3. linda

linda Approved members

That sounds great never thought of "sick kit" just send dh out right away for cola, pops, etc. Maybe some er phone numbers in case for sitter or somone else (dh?):cwds:

4. Logansmom

Logansmom Approved members

where do you get snow cone syrup????

5. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Buy the little $10 snow cone maker at Target or Walmart when it starts to get hot outside. You just turn the handle and amazingly enough you get a snow cone! This device has saved more than anything! It's fun, and when kids are sick they are hard to talk into anything. But a snow cone has done the trick more than once! Tons of carbs or no carbs- we have both.
    This is not the one we have the cheaper ones come out when it gets hot outside.
    http://www.target.com/Snow-Cone-Makers-Novelty-Appliances/b?ie=UTF8&node=15347291

6. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Carb free is the hardest to find. This is what we use when blood sugar is HIGH with ketones (along with extra insulin)
    http://snowballsupply.com/faq.php
    Scroll down and you'll see the nutritional information that it's 0 carbs on the sugar free stuff!

The loaded carb stuff is pretty easy to find at stores- more so when it's hot outside. On-line you can find a TON of places that just sell snow cone syrup. The site listed above sells it, but it isn't high enough carbs (IMO) only 12 in a liquid ounce.

7. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

I dont have a kit but do have most of them things, maybe not the exzact things but similar. I have a cupbaord dedicated for all that kind of stuff, D and non D items.

8. CButler

CButler Approved members

I love lists.:)

I don't have a designated box for sick days, so I'd like to hear what you all use.

9. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I love the idea of snow cones! I keep sugar free freezer pops for me and regular ones for my daughter in the freezer. I am an adult so I really dont need a sick day kit, but I have most of the items in my house anyway.

I have had a migrane all day, so I slept most of today anyway. Not quite a sick day, but I was still nausous and felt like I was going to throw up most of the day, a snow cone would have been great LOL

10. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I'm going to post your list inside one of our kitchen cabinets for future reference. Thank you!

11. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

I highly recommend, if you have more than one kid, that you buy the electric snow cone maker :eek: I had to make one up for Hailey and OMG my arm was KILLING me by the time I had made everyone a snow cone :rolleyes: My girls love these in the summer and Hailey will always eat one on a sick day. I stock up on the sugar free syrup in the summer at Walmart.

12. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I keep sick day stuff on hand at all times, what I have is:

Homemade popsicles made from sugar-free and regular coolaid
    thermometer
    Tylenol
    Motrin
    Sore throat spray
    sugar-free cough drops
    saline nasal spray
    blood ketone test strips
    skittles
    airheads
    small cans or regular soda, generic 7up and ginger ale
    Zofran melt-aways
    Powerade Zero (no carbs)
    Bananas
    Always have syringes (MDI)
    Sudafed (OTC)
    soups

Anytime any of this is used, the items used goes on the shopping list and is replaced as soon as possible.

13. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members