- advertisement -

sick baby!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by steph, Sep 7, 2012.

1. steph

steph Approved members

First time with a sick baby and with ketones since dx. She has moderate ketones and woke up with a fever of 102. To top it off we are on vacation in CA. I am pushing fluids, gave her motrin, and a small dose of insulin .5u. What else do I need to do?

2. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Sounds like you are doing everything right. She's not vomiting, right? I'd just keep doing what you're doing and keep a close eye on her BG.

Hope she's feeling better real soon! Good luck!:cwds:

3. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

In addition to checking BGs and ketones regularly throughout the day, you should consider contacting your diabetes team. They can advise you best about if/when you need to take her to the ER for fluids. Dehydration is often an issue and there's little you can do about it if she stops eating/drinking, which can happen when sick. Try giving her ice chips, diluted juice to help prevent dehydration, keep her BGs from dropping, etc.

4. LJM

LJM Approved members

No advice other than what is given. Just PM me if you need anything and are near San Diego area, OK? Good luck.