- advertisement -

Sick and vomiting with large ketones

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Brandi's mom, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Brandi has been sick so rarely since diagnosis that I'm not sure if the ketones
    are just from being sick or if I should be concerned about Dka. She has been
    battling lows for weeks being more active than normal at her summer job so I
    don't think it's long term highs causing the ketones. We only use the ketone
    urine strips so I don't have actual ketone numbers but the strip turned the
    darkest color on the scale.

She hasn't been able to keep anything down morning.

Her breathing is labored and she says she is hot but her skin is cold. And she feels achy. Are these symptoms indicative of anything diabetes related?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Labored breathing would have me on the way to the ER. Given the tools you have and her condition I really think it's the only safe option.

Good luck!

3. L101418

L101418 Approved members

T1D + large ketones + labored breathing would send me to the ER.
    Any instructions from the endo?
    Normally you would give small sips of sugar drinks, whatever she can keep down, to get her BG up so you can give more insulin to clear the ketones.

4. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I haven't been at this very long, but isn't labored breathing one of the signs of dka...aside from having large ketones? I hope your dd feels better soon. I second Sarah's opinion...I would go to er. Have you called your endo team?

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes, get to the ER immediately. The labored breathing scares me.

6. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Oh my yes...please take her to the ER. As with the others...the labored breathing would scare me.

Please let us know how she does.

7. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Nodding my head and agreeing with the others.

Laboured breathing would have me on the way to the hospital.
    If your endo is at your local hospital, I'd call them and tell them you're on your way. They may be able to shorten the wait in the ER.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I hope you have left for the ER. Let us know how it goes when you can :( Labored breathing should get you right in..

9. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

We are at the emergency room now. Her endo called and we were triaged quickly and then she got the first available bed. They haven't done anything but put in the IV. No fluids yet they are monitoring her heart and oxygen saturation and blood pressure.

She is feeling better. Not well, but better. I know because she is complaint about being hungry and trying to decide where to ea when we leave.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am glad you are at the ER and she is feeling better. The vomiting IS probably from the ketones - most tummy flues run low! Keep us updated!

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

How is she feeling today?

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Do NOT let them wait to long before they start an IV. She NEEDS fluids. We had a horrible trip to the ER where they delayed an IV for HOURS causing DKA and a three day hospital stay. Stay on them about what they are doing, ask questions.

Hope she's feeling better soon!

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Even if they say she is not in DKA and her blood gases are still ok, she has the IV you are there already get a bag of fuids with glucose to raise BG. Yes you will be behind the 8ball and chaising her BG for a while, BUT even if she getts to the 300's it will kill the ketones when you give her some nice big doses of insulin! and at least you can walk out of there knowing that she is not in DKA and she has a bag of fuids and you killed the ketones.

YOU need a blood ketone meter, they do not even have those in the hhospital.

14. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

How is Brandi today? How long did you need to stay at the hospital??

Hope she is on the mend!:cwds: