- advertisement -

Sibling thoughts

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by OSUMom, May 6, 2008.

1. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

My younger son turned 16. :D In the midst of the celebration of course conversation turns to diabetes even though big brother is at college. My parents were in the medical field and are still on the learning curve about type 1 - I'm very blessed they're open to learning. :) Anyway, just in conversation we talk about blessed with good health at birth and all the "gunk" comes up with what my kids have.... my younger son tells great-grandma "I'm going to get diabetes". It's very matter of fact - no emotion. I'm so sad that this is his mind set. I can talk until I'm blue in the face that we don't know this - but I really can't promise him anything ya know? :( I'm sad that this is part of his thoughts. :cwds:

2. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

We aren't to that age yet, but I get nervous that Wieland will get the "D". I even have said a few times, "Mommy is going to check you for ketones to make sure you don't have diabetes." He (2 years old) looks horified that he doesn't want to have diabetes. He thinks the pumps and cgms are really cool (loves looking at pics of little Emma cause she has both, just like his brother) but it is obvious that he doesn't really want d, which at one time I wondered. So I am sure at some point he will say something very simular.

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Laurie,

I'm so sorry this is weighing on your younger son. Do you think he has specific concerns that maybe Dean could address?

I wonder if this plays some part in my daughter's concerns with Tom and his D. Funny that Tom has never said he worries abouyt getting celiac like his sister.

~~Becky~~

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

The way Dean has handled his diagnosis and management - doesn't complain - speaks volumes - like you can persevere and achieve whatever you want (Rocky theme playing) so that is helpful. :)

Could be that a lot of siblings have these thoughts in their heads and don't verbalize it. I was surprised when my son said this - clear as a bell - not shy to say it - very matter of fact!

Oh - love your new avatar!! :)

5. jetsmom

jetsmom Approved members

My younger son will ask me on occasion if he can test. I just asked him recently if he is worried that he may get D, he said he is not but he's only 10 so who knows. He sees what his older brother goes through on a daily basis and gets concerned if we are having a bad D day (high numbers). Just thought I would add my 2 cents.

6. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

That's from last year's record breaking relay team. Swim season is almost upon us!

I know Jenn got way more worried when she witnessed Tom's last seizure. I'd like to think it's concern for him that drives her, but I do wonder if she worries for herself, especially since she already has one AI disease.

~~Becky~~

7. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Yes thank you for your thoughts.

I don't want it to sound like Dean is Rocky Balboa either - we all know he's not w/ type 1. My younger son has seen some very scary episodes too. :cwds:

{{Hugs}} for your younger guy jetsmom.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  8. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

Quinn told me that someday he wanted an insulin pump just like Nikki has. It was really hard not to cry in front of him when he told me that.