- advertisement -

ShugaTrak

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Williamsville mommy, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

Anyone heard of this? Anyone using it yet? Or know if apple has anything similar

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

What is it?

3. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

App for android that sends BSG directly to cell phones with linked meters

4. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

This looks really cool - I want it for iPhone!

5. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I wish I had known about this when I was debating about which phone to get my daughter. I did not get her a smartphone - and the child would need one (although I was thinking iPhone - not android). Too bad, it looks useful.

6. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Info received from the company:

ShugaTrak automatically gets readings from glucose meters and sends them out in text messages and emails. It does this using a Bluetooth adaptor that plugs into the meter and pairs with the phone. Once the adaptor is set up, there's no extra work involved. It fits in the meter pouch, and you just leave it in there and forget about it. Sending out a reading with ShugaTrak requires nothing in addition to a regular BG check. You don't even have to touch your phone. It's instant and effortless.

In addition to sending BG readings in text messages and emails, ShugaTrak also stores readings and makes BG history available online. You can view my BG reading history on the ShugaTrak website.

The current version of ShugaTrak works with Android phones and eight models of glucose meter from three manufacturers: LifeScan OneTouch (Ultra, Ultra2, UltraMini, and UltraLink), Abbott (FreeStyle Lite and FreeStyle Freedom Lite), and Bayer (Breeze2 and Contour). Future versions of ShugaTrak will work on additional mobile platforms and with additional meters.

In the final stages of preparing for the launch of ShugaTrak (as of July 24).

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

The designers are local to us in CT--one comes to our JDRF meetings from time to time (his wife has t1d). He seems like a nice guy. He got a lot of advice from local parents about what they wanted in a product like this. Several local families are trialing it, but I am not sure what they think of it. It made me wish I had an Android!

8. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

sounds cool, though it stinks that the kid would need a smart phone... imo any kid old enough to have a smartphone probably wouldn't need this product as much as little kids.... I know I would hate it if my mom saw every single number out of context... But then again I don't think kids need a smartphone until their driving (mine was a high school grad present from my parents)

9. trinky

trinky New Member

We are one of the families that have been working with Shuga Trak & John during their pilot program. My daughter is now 5 & has been going to preschool. We were tired of going all day & having no idea & what her BS was. They wouldn't call us if she was low or high (My mom works there PT, so I guess they figured they didn't need to call.)
    We had some concerns about getting a smart phone for a 5 yo, but it stays with her meter & has been worth it. The school knows that if I get a reading I don't like, I will call. I get a text message on my phone that shows what RIley's BS is & what time they tested her.
    She got a dexcom a few months ago. We've had days that betweeen shuga trak & dex, I don't know what I would've done without them. One day her alarm went off about an hour after lunch (when they nap), they tested her & I got a text message with a reading of 45. I immediately called to find out what they were doing & then told them what they needed to do.
    When she starts kindergarten in a few weeks, she will still use shuga trak. i'm making sure the school knows her cell & meter are to stay together. i can answer any questions if you'd like.

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

For me, I would have addressed this issue before using some app. If they have clear instuctions that they are to call when there is a high/low number and they are not doing it, that would be a big concern for me.

Again, if they don't know how to treat a low, that would be a big concern for me and I would want to work with the staff to make sure they knew what they were supposed to do.

11. Sandy's mom

Sandy's mom Approved members

This would be awesome to have. Particularly for my soon to be teenager who is very often on the go without me. She would not have to do that extra step of texting me her number.

Now, if her she could just stick a strip in her phone to use as a tester, that would be cool. I thought I heard that technology was coming too.

12. benamorado

benamorado New Member

We are currently using ShugaTrak

My 13 year old T1 and I are currently using ShugaTrak. We LOVE it! There are quite a few reasons why. I am constantly asking "Did you check?" and I am constantly being told "Mom, I just told you 10 minutes ago!!" (remember she is a teen) . Now I can just look at my texts and see when she checked last. Also, being in the teen years we have gone through some fibbing about blood glucose readings as well as , whether or not she has checked at ALL. It's not a big deal unless she isn't with me. So..now that issue is GONE. If she isn't with me....I know if she has been checking like she is supposed to and what her readings were. That is GOLD to me. AND no more downloading the bg log. It does it for me each time she checks. I can also makes notes in the online account and give the Endo the login so he can look. I'm ALL for it being easier and this does just that. Oh, and I like the fact that even if the insurance make us change meters AGAIN ....this device will most likely work with the new meter. If not, I'm going to very nicely bug them at ShugaTrak :)

13. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I don't believe it does this from the looks of the website (and I did send them an email to ask but haven't heard back yet), but does anyone know if it would work with a cgm at all? It looks like since it uploads from the meter, it would not. Since the meter does not get info from the cgm. Anyone in the trialing talk about this at all?

14. trinky

trinky New Member

This does not work with a CGM, as you said it pulls the data from the meter. We have a CGM too, but since we still test to confirm the data, it's not an extra step for us.
    My husband also loves that when he's at work he gets the text messages with her readings. He doesn't work a 9- 5 job, so when he's not here, he likes to be in the loop.

Chris, We didn't seek out an app to fix any issues. We addressed the issues. But now we get ALL of her readings. Not just highs & lows. My daughter was dx at 21 mos & so maybe that makes me worry a little more. They have guidelines to follow, but no-one knows my child better than me. So, I'm able to help by calling & asking what they've done & letting them know if I feel anything else needs done.