- advertisement -

Should We Post in the Teen Section or is it Invading Their Territory?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Lee, Jan 11, 2011.

?

Should Parents Post in Teens as a General Rule?

1. As a Parent - Yes - why not?

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. As a Parent - No - it is there space to vent and seek peer support

32 vote(s)
    69.6%
  3. As a Teen - Please do, we like the support

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. As a Teen - please don't, we come to the paretn's side and ask for suppor twhen we need it

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am asking because I sometimes read the Teen Forum, but try really, really hard to not post in it. I figure, if they are in the Teen section, they are looking for advice and support from their peers - if they want some advice and support from parents - they know where to find us.

So - I am just curious what others think - even the TEENS!!!!

ETA: If it is an emergency, like a suicide threat or something - then of course, all things fly out the window. And sorry for the there/their confusion and misspellings in the poll - I need to proofread!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I want to say that the only reason I ever read that forum is that my technique of reading the board is just to log on and hit "new posts" and go through those, I rarely have any awareness at all of WHERE the stuff I am reading was originally placed. It's all mixed up by when it was posted and if there are new postings, not by location. Hope that makes sense. If it were not for that, I wouldn't ever read the teen section as I do believe they deserve their own space.

I try, however, to be aware before I reply to see where it was, as I have mistakenly posted in the celiac section, and wouldn't want to post in the teen section (I voted no in the poll, I think they should have their own privacy/support).

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I think the teens and kids forums are for them only. In fact, I probably shouldn't post in the forums for the other countries or in the grandparent forum, but I have.

I usually read all of the adult postings.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I think it's a place for them to hang out and vent. I figure if they need our words of wisdom, they'll come looking for it.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Eh, I'm not in favor of any bright line rule where people should and shouldn't post. Teens and non-parents post in the parents forum all the time, and I have no interest in booting them out. I will occasionally post in the Parents of Teens forum if I think I have something useful to say.

For what it's worth, this is coming from someone who has absolutely no interest in wading through the teen forum.

6. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I'd like to see more parents post their, as an older teen, some of the advice the younger teens that seem to frequent the section (more in the preteen age range) I'd love to see a little bit more adult. I don't mind when you guys post AT ALL

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

At least a small number of these teens are reaching out for help, acknowledgment, and support. In that respect I think adults posting is beneficial.

I know 2 young women who were diagnosed as young children 6 and 8, their parents basically expected them to take full responsibility for their diabetes at age 9 with very minimal parental intervention. I believe at least in part due to this they have major problems today at 19 with a1cs continuously in 13-14 range, chronic hospitalizations for DKA, 1 of the 2 admittedly has diabulemia, and I am not sure about the other girl.

More than one councilor (of the girl with the eating disorder) has said that the mother forcing all the D responsibility on the girl at such a young age played a big role in creating this problem.

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

maybe the teens could post in the title (PW - parents welcome) or something? I never go there either only because I don't want to invade their space, and I h8 L da l33t talk. don't u?

9. joan

joan Approved members

I feel like a stalker if I ever find myself in that section. I also equate it to walking into a room filled with my son's friends when you know they don't want me there and especially don't want my opinions.

10. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

To be honest, sometimes I don't know where I should or shouldn't be posting, either! I don't consider myself a 'teen' at this point, but the Adult Type 1 Forum isn't super active. So I stick around here.

For what it is worth, I think it is perfectly fine for anyone to post in the teen section. I believe there have been a few instances where the adult parents on here alerted to issues that could have been serious.

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Same here, I don't hang out in there but once in a while I check it out and I help if I can :) I have no problems with the teens hanging out with us either :)

12. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

If I see a teen post without any responses, I may post something. Or if I feel my perspective could help. I also don't mind the teens posting in the parents section, since usually it's about getting our side of things.

13. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I have never gone to the teen section. And matt isnt a teen yet. And somehow I doubt he will ever become a member here, but who knows. I guess if I needed a teen perspective on an issue, I would post a question for them, and read what they would say to my question, but that would be about it.

I certainly dont use the board like I should tho. I come to parents, to off topic and to sale and swap. Never hit new posts, and probably miss out on alot.

14. selketine

selketine Approved members

I see it cause I use the "new Posts" button and see all new posts. I generally don't see anything there that needs my attention but I suppose I might post if I thought I had something to contribute. I'd certainly not post anything to someone's issues over friend troubles and typical teen issues not involving D.

My son with D isn't a teen yet but I could imagine posting there if I had a general sort of question perhaps. Yet if he posted there at that age then I'd probably be more likely to avoid that forum with any of my own questions.

This IS the internet - they (and we) don't know who they are talking to unless they know them personally. Not that I suggest they always mistrust - but there will never be an accurate "filter" that allows only legit people to post on a forum, etc.

15. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

for the record I think it's perfectly fine for teens to post and ask questions in the parents forum. I just think this was how do us parents feel about going there...you guys can come to the parents area any time you want - feel free .

(unless you're that troll rukio character. he/she...not so welcome)

16. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

How sweet! I always enjoy your posts in the Parent Forum. I agree that sometimes the "best" advice does not come from inexperienced peers. BUT, I do worry about adult posters getting a bit agreesive and obnoxious in their replys. Sometimes I cringe at the way adults treat other adults in the parent forum.

For teens without any parental support, it is a definite plus to receive well intentioned advice. It's tough dealing with D. To have no one "in the trenches with you" has to be awful.

Thanks for the encouragement. As an older "teen", perhaps you can suggest to a teen poster needed help, to jump over to the parent forum and ask their question.

I have 6 children, ages 7 to 23. I have always encouraged them with this quote, "If you have something you need to talk about and do not feel you can can come to me or to dad, then seek out a trusted ADULT with strong core values who you know will be honest with you. Don't turn to an inexperienced peer that will just tell you what you want to hear." So far, the oldest 3 have done just that.

17. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I just peeped into the teen board and it made me totally sad that some of these kids don't have the parental support I thought was just normal. :( I mean what kind of parent has no interest at all in their child's chronic illness!?! Some of those posts will break your heart, especially as we parents on this board tend to be VERY involved and live eat breathe this stuff all day. I hope they know to come here and refer their peers here to for advice and support from a knowledgable and mature pool of parents.

It's funny how the teens who do post on the parents board regularly are like "our" kids. :) I feel so protective of our younger members.