- advertisement -

Should we go to the ER? help!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof3princesses, Dec 3, 2008.

1. momof3princesses

momof3princesses Approved members

Lily woke up this am with BG of 256 and a tummy ache. About an hour later, she started throwing up. Her blood ketones at that time were .1. She's continued to throw up all day. Her BG is lower each time. RIght now we are right at 100. The blood ketones are now at .5. She's throwing up everything! I just gave her gum and she threw up from that. Her basal is at 50%. I called the Endo but still waiting. My gut says go to the ER but I don't want to if I can make it here. Your thoughts????

2. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Go with your gut.
    I've read a lot of posts on here, and I've never heard anyone say that they wish they hadn't trusted their gut instinct.
    I know you want to do it on your own, but tummy bug's are so tough! Can you give your endo your cell phone so he can call you while you're on your way? I wouldnt want to manage a stomach bug without the endo to contact if your BG are continually dropping. Your endo may give you a mini glucagon shot advice too, that may help.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

Do you have anti-nausea meds?
    When you called the endo - did you sat it was an emergency?

I would try one more time to get through to my team, because her ketones are going up and she is getting dehydrated. They may advise you to home treat for a bit more, but I suspect they will tell you to bring her in.

The ONLY reason I say try and get a hold of the team one more time is to let them know you are going in and maybe the Endo can meet you there or call over so that your child gets proper treatment. Many people here tell horror stories of ER visits.

4. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Stomach bugs are aweful. I'm so sorry. It's not much help, but we did take Andy to the ER when he had one about a year ago. Our concern was that his BG kept dropping and dropping and since he couldn't keep anything down, we felt the ER was the best place to be since they could put in an IV. I did not regret taking him. We always go with the "better safe than sorry" rule for illnesses. Good luck - I know it's tough!

5. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Has you endo called you back yet? If they haven't I would call again. In the meantime, can you get her to sip on some gingerale to get some carbs and hydration into her?

Good luck and keep us posted.

6. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

Good advice! Call again and make sure they understand this is an Emergency! (they may be fielding a lot of these calls if stomach bug is racing thru your community)
    keep us update if you are able, we know your busy!!!

7. momof3princesses

momof3princesses Approved members

Thank you all so much for your input. We did end up in ER. I just felt like it was the right thing to do. I'm so glad we did. After some fluids, anti-nausea meds, and eventually some popsicles, we are back home. Her BG was a bit over 200 just now. I'm happy with that. THis was her 1st stomach bug and man, it was horrible!!

Thanks so much for the advice. Next time I'll know to go with my gut!

8. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

I'm glad to hear that you guys are home and she is on the mend....I assumed that you went in when we hadn't heard from you! Better safe than sorry!! Good job, mom. :)

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

watch for constipation

The first time my daughter was on the anti nausea meds she got backed up. even though she was have #2's everyday the meds dehidrated the colon and she ended up starting to threw up again a week later nnow with stomach pain, bend over type of pain, did not figure it out until an scan that showed how backed up she was. Simple fix, emema (sp?).