- advertisement -

Should we get my son a pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by btsmom, Oct 26, 2010.

1. btsmom

btsmom New Member

Hello Everyone. We are considering a pump for our son and are still unsure of them. We had an intro to pump class yesterday and are still unsure of what we should do. We were looking at the omnipod at first since there aren't any tubes but now we think that the ping may be a good alternative. There is ALOT that does go along with the pump. It seems alot more to think about vs. just shots. How do they sleep with the pump? Or play sports with the pump hanging on them all the time? He is 6 yrs old and very shy about his diabetes. We think it would get him better regulated since his #'s are still all over the place. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

Love the pump!!!!!!! We have the Ping, our son is 6 now (has had the pump for 3 years now) and wears it on his back with a pump holder we got from Diabetes Mall (I can get you the info). It makes life SO much easier. I know it may seem overwhelming at first, but it really is not difficult once you do it a few times. We don't know what we do without it.
    Hope this helps :D

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

My daughter is 12 and has been pumping for over 6 years. And I can assure you she sleeps just fine and plays many, many sports with her pump "hanging on her all the time". :rolleyes:

Yes, learning to pump is a lot of work, at first. But, I believe that the convenience, the specific and targeted basal rate capability, and in many cases the improved glycemic control, are well worth the effort.

All pumps pretty much do the same thing. In choosing one it really comes down to personal preference and individual comfort with mechanics of the pump. It's either a pod or a tubed pump, and if a tubed pump, then it comes down to cartridge size or CGMS integration or remote bolus capability.

Good luck with your decision.

4. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

If he's shy about diabetes, the ping and omni pod are both good choices because you give bolus's from the meter.

I have given Ava doses in crowded cafe's and people think I'm just a busy mom checking my blackberry. :p

I swear we had a playgroup that didn't know for about 3 months that Ava had diabetes. I would wash her hands at the sink and test her in the bathroom (NOT because she is shy, but that's where her clean hands and the dry paper towels were, so it was more expedient), then I'd dose her at the snack table, and no one knew.

It makes life so much easier. Ava is a very active girl. She does Ballet, Yoga, Karate and just romps about like a goof with no problems on the pump. She wears hers in a small camera case like a hip holster and tucks it into the side of her pants. The camera case has padding so it protects the pump and her bony bits. ;)

http://www.caselogic.com/search/index.cfm?N=4011+20060610

5. btsmom

btsmom New Member

Thank you everyone. I think it is definitely best for him now and in the long run. It is alot to think about at first it seems but from what you all say it's easier as time goes on. I guess first thing is to think about tubing or not than go from there. This is all so helpful. Thank you all so much.

6. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Yes, it's a big learning curve, and yes, it's a lot of cognitive work, but the payoff for us has been huge. More flexibility, more independence, fewer shots, better control because of the ability to give smaller doses. Being active has been no problem. Pumping has been absolutely life-changing for us!

I agree with the others - they're all good, they all deliver insulin. There are very few real differences between the pumps, so once you get past the three decisions noted by Sarah, it really comes down to personal preference.

Good luck getting this figured out!

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The Ominpod is small, but I would think it definitely could be felt at all times. Most Omnipod users have to tape it down like crazy to keep it from falling off. The site for a pump is alot smaller than the Omnipod.

My son can disconnect his pump for showers and swimming (though he doesn't have to). The site stays on and he reconnects when he is finished. An Omnipod has to stay on at all times. My son kept the pump on for sports, he just put it in a pack that he wore snuggly around his waist under his shirt. It didn't bounce around much at all.

My son keeps the pump in his pocket at night, although he could just keep it on the bed next to him. Some parents put the pump in a sock and pin to the PJs.

Tubing can be stuffed into a pocket and the pump kept in a pocket or clipped to the pants.

8. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

There is a lot to learn at any time with this disease. Yes there is a learning curve with a pump. I can tell you, as others have, that the pump doesn't stop Hunter from doing anything. He plays baseball, runs cross country, bikes, hikes, swims, does it all. There are many times that delivering insulin via the pump is much easier than with injections. That isn't a reason alone to pump but one thing to consider. I find its easier to do activities with him since we can disconnect and I dont have to worry about long activing insulin still working.
    The omni pod wouldn't work for us as Hunter uses a hot tub frequently and his insulin would "cook" in there. With the tubed pumps you can disconnect.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  9. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

My daughter is 10 and has been using a Ping since July. She has 2 pouches, one for day and one for night. She isn't bothered at all at night sleeping with her pump on. She has also become so comfortable wearing her pump pouch that she even lets the tubing hang out.

Changing to the pump was difficult at first with getting basal numbers within range, but it is so worth it to have it now.

10. VikkiMum

VikkiMum Approved members

Hi
    Just to add to what everyone has said - we would never choose to go back to injections for our 5 year old daughter. She's had the pump for 2 months now and despite some teething problems we still have much better control now than we ever did previously. It is really hard work getting everything right but once you do it's great. She wears hers in a snug fitting belt and hasn't had any problems wearing it at night. It also doesn't get in the way of her sports activities and we can disconnect easily if we need to. We live in the UK and use a DANA pump. We never need to access the pump when bolusing for food as it has a remote control so when we are in public no-one has a clue what we are doing - I'm sure they think it's some expensive gadget/mobile/whatever! I would definitely recommend the pump but would also recommend that you 'pencil out' some time on your calendar to concentrate on getting it right. I would say our life went on hold at the beginning but this was only momentary and was well worth it.
    Good luck
    x

11. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

There are many people doing an excellent job with injections, or with about any brand of pump. Here is our experience with the Omnipod:
    My son has worn it since February 08. We don't use any extra tape. He has worn it during football, Taekwondo, show choir, and swimming. He carries the PDM with him in a camera case with other supplies. He sleeps with the PDM on his nightstand. Occlusions, which can happen with any pump,have been rare.
    There are some great articles on the CWD homepage about the advantages of pumping. You can get a demo pod from Insulet to let your child see what it is like. You can usually request a saline trial for about any pump.

12. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

My son has been on the Ping for almost two years. He thought he wanted the Omnipod at first, so I ordered the trial one. He was allergic to the adhesive on it. You can order a free trial pod to see what he thinks of it.

Kaleb loves it. At first he was very against the idea of being hooked up, but now he doesnt even notice it.

Best of luck.

13. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

We love our Omnipod!

Kerry is a black belt in taekwondo and plays Academy Soccer
    and while yes we do put one strip of adhesive tape over the pod, she loves NOT
    having any tubing and not having to disconnect for anything, she swims, plays,
    showers, etc and just changes her pod every 3 days.

it works great for us! we have had some allergic/itchiness from the sites, but I think
    she would have that with any adhesive as she has very, very sensitive skin and a history of excema, etc

editted to add, we just use a barrier under the adhesive now it is what they use for IVs and worth it to use
    to be tube free

good luck!

14. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

I am a newbie, but I am going to chime in. My dd (just turned 7) has a Medtronic Minimed, which is the tube kind. I didn't know about a non-tube one at the time, or I would have requested one for her. The tube has not caused us many problems, though. Having said that, we love the pump.

Before my dd was diagnosed with diabetes, she was a very happy go-lucky mischevious child. Her personality changed after the diagnosis. She became much more serious and was not the same happy child. As my husband said after she got the pump, "Our Cara is back." I cry almost every time I tell someone that. We would never go back to injections now.

The pump has not slowed her down. Others notice it, but most think that its a pager or an MP3 player.

15. sooz

sooz Approved members

I just have to chime in and say that my granddaughter takes a bath frequently with her Omnipod on and it does NOT "cook" the insulin!! She also takes hot showers and swims with her Omnipod on. The fact that the pods are able to be used in water is one of the benefits of the Omnipod. We normally do not tape the omnipod on with extra tape but we know we can if we need to. We also have been very happy with the Omnipod but it is a very personal choice. There are many videos on youtube about the Omnipod, even showing how it is inserted. The one's featuring Caleb are my favorites, he is a CWD who's mom posts here. Maybe if you watch some of the videos you will have some of your questions answered. One of the niceset things about getting ANY pump is that your child can eat what they want when they want, without having any extra shots.

16. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I know exactly where you are coming from. My son's numbers seem consistently high no matter what we do. Yes, there are times when we see a 101 or 120 but very often we are looking at 300-400 and above. MDI'ing into scar tissue is one culprit. Tighter control is paramount so our endo wanted Jeremy to get onto a pump as soon as possible.

Well. we also looked at different pumps but Jeremy really did not want the tubes so we opted to go with the Omnipod. I have read many good reviews about it here and a few not-so-good reviews but it seems as though the positives of the Omnipod outweigh the negatives by a large margin.

Jeremy's new PDM arrived today along with 5 boxes of pods plus a new Freestyle Freedom meter, 50 test strips and some other miscellaneous odds and ends. Jeremy is anxious to start pumping.

Oh, one more thing. Over the course of the last few weeks, I have been in touch with several people at Insulet and no matter whom I spoke with, I found them to be friendly, helpful and very informative.