- advertisement -

Should the nurse have stayed?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashley_lynden, Sep 7, 2010.

1. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

Last week I got a call from the school nurse. Sloan's BG was around 350. (I forget the exact number) I asked her to check him again in an hour and call me if it was not going down. An hour later she calls me back, it had went up. I told her I would be up there to do a site change. When I got there, she had left and went to one of the other schools and told the office staff she would be back at his snack time. Snack time was about an hour and a half later. I didn't think anything about it at the time, but was it wrong of her to leave? What if something happened and I didn't make it up there? Should she have stayed? Is this something I should address in his IEP or would you not worry about it?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

What could the nurse have done if she had stayed?

3. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

If I didn't make it for whatever reason, she could have changed his site out. She has all the supplies there and has been trained by both Minimed and myself. I would just rather do it myself when possible.

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Was he sitting in her office alone when you got there? I would have expected someone to at least wait with him until you got there. Hopefully they could have called her back if you couldn't make it.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think that once you told her that you were coming, it would be unreasonable to expect her to be there waiting. Perhaps if you had said, "if I'm not there in an hour, please do a site change" but not without that agreement. Otherwise, how could she know when the responsibility had passed back to her?

6. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Oh, and as far as putting it in the IEP - I wouldn't. "If I say I'm coming, the nurse shall remain in the school until I get there"? Maybe that's because I'm an hour away from my child, and would just have the nurse change the site in the first place.

7. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

I would agree with the first two moms.

8. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

I don't think it was wrong of her to leave. She may have had other children at other schools to check. If you were unable to get there, she was scheduled to return to the school in 1-1/2 hours at snack time. Presumably, she could have done a site change at that time if you weren't able to do it.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I don't think it was wrong for her to leave...in this situation. If, for some reason, you didn't or couldn't make it, it would be up to you to call the school and tell them that you need the nurse to do a set change. She did state she was coming back, so if you hadn't have come, the set would have been changed out by her when she got back.

I wouldn't ask for this to be in an IEP, as this is definitely something that doesn't happen often for most and can be handled on a case by case basis.

I know in our situation, if something like this happened and I or my emergency contact (trained in D because she's T1 too!), couldn't get there, I know our nurses would recheck and if nothing had gone on with bg in a satisfactory way, they would do a correction via syringe and continue to do that for the rest of the school day. Not ideal, but she would be getting insulin.