- advertisement -

Should she be gaining weight?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dk10, Jan 21, 2009.

1. dk10

dk10 Approved members

My 9 year old was diagnosed with T1 in early June 2008. Her weight was 26 kgs at the time (which is fine for her height in my part of the world). Incidentally, she hadn't lost weight before diagnosis. She was a poor eater before diagnosis, but has started eating much better since - more frequent and healthier meals. She probably has less fats than before, though since I never really measured before, it's hard to tell. Her endo seems to think she's doing alright, though the dietician wants her to put on more weight.

She has about 240-260 carbs a day, maybe 3-5 tsp of fat. She usually has a very active day. We give her a supplement twice a day with milk (Resource Diabetic) but no other supplements.

She's definitely grown taller in the last six months, but her weight is about the same or 0.5-1 kg more at best. Is this normal or should I be worried? I thought many kids put on weight after going on insulin, but I really don't know what to think, specially since her endo and dietician seem not to be on the same page.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well I think that if you cauht it fast at the beginning of onset then you may not see a significant weight gain. Mydd lost weight due to DKA and rapidly put it back on but not more. If she is staying on the same growth curve or is getting back to the growth curve she was on then I think you are ok. What does her Ped think?

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

My son took a very long time before he put on any weight. He only lost about 5lbs before dx and he never really put it back on. It meant that he went from about the 95% for weight to the 50% for weight. IMO it's because his snacking was cut way back. I'm sure that's probably the same for your daughter.

WHY does the nutritionist want your daughter to gain weight? Is she falling OFF the weight chart for her age/height? If you pull up a CDC weight/age chart it seems like she'd fall just below average. No issue with that...IMO.

4. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Mine had lost weight before dx. He was dxd in June 2008. His weight didn't budge until his last appt. on Jan 8 this year. He finally gained two pounds. From 27 lbs to 29. That's it.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Is she following her own growth curve? I have one child at the 99th percentile for height and weight, and one at the 50th percentile for height and 5th percentile for weight. Our ped says that since they're consistently on those curves, it's the way their little bodies are programmed, and there's no cause for concern.

6. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

My son was Dx in October 2007...lost weight before Dx, and STILL hasnt gained weight. But he has shot up a few inches. I have asked our Endo. and our Peds. about my concern......and they are not concerned at all. :confused: Well, I have asked about supplements, they have said no need. My son eats about 150-300 carbs a day(got to love puberty boys...and VERY active:eek:).

I'm sorry I dont have answer, but I know what you are going through. ((hugs))

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Well, I lost 42lbs (19kg) before dx (when I was dx'd I was down to 84lbs (38kg) at 5'5"). I was so SO skinny that it would have been very worrying if I hadn't put on any weight, but I'd say if she didn't lose too much before dx, you wouldn't expect to see her put on too much afterward. I haven't quite put on all the weight I lost, I'm up about 30lbs (14kg), on the low end of normal now.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  8. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

Thats very interesting about following there own curve. Diaticians are telling me London is a bit overwieght. I have seen his charts and the plots have been following the same curve but not the one they would like to see him on.

9. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Tyler did put on weight after dx and starting insulin.

But he had lost 22lbs before dx and we were told that he was just putting on what he lost. Once he had caught up to where he was, the weight gain slowed completely and now he only gains about 2lbs between each endo appt.

10. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Why are you using "Resource Diabetic" ? Does she have other medical concerns?

11. mickey's mom

mickey's mom Approved members

Michayla is 9, almost 10 and we aim between 200-250 carbs a day. She is bigger then your daughter (45kg) but she is almost 5ft tall. However, she has only gained 2 kg in a year, and that was a year on her pump. I think kids just grow at different rates, regardless of diabetes or not. I would only worry if my child wasn't growing at all or was losing weight.

12. dk10

dk10 Approved members

Thanks

Thanks a lot for all your advise and support.

I checked to see whether these numbers fit into her growth chart - actually, in terms of height, she's moving faster than she was before, and slower on weight.

Her nutritionist wants her to gain weight as she's a little less than the average, and the Resource Diabetic supplement is something she's advised therefore (we tried Glucerna for a bit which seemed to help much more, but we stopped it because it has maltitol, and we didn't want that to be part of her regular diet). We just started seeing a nutritionist after the dx, so she doesn't really have my daughter's history. While she may be biased because she's looking at averages, she only suggested we feed her more after the first 3-4 months. I'd tend to agree with her as she looks a little "peaky" at times.

We just established contact with this new set of doctors because we've had two moves in the last 3 years, and interestingly enough my daughter hadn't fallen ill in the last 2 years -except for the one day fever once or twice a year variety. I thought her antibodies were doing a great job. Little did I know!!

Anyhow. it's reassuring to know that it's something that happens commonly.

13. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Alex was diagnosed in June 2008 also. She was about 19 kg at diagnosis and has since put on another 6 kg. She's probably at the correct weight NOW. Thank God for insulin.

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Is this nutritionist aligned with your endo's office? I don't think I know of a single child (other than ones with feeding issues) who are taking a supplement like that.

Unless she has some other medical issue that would prevent her from gaining weight then it seems like a waste of time and money to get that stuff.

15. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

My daughter lost weight because of DKA at first and I thought she would never put any weight on then 2 yrs. later she grew up and out. She gained 10lbs in 4 months and shot up about a foot. So I am trying to watch what she eats and trying not to get any lows because I think some of her weight is because she was having to eat twice at night because of lows. But that was then and this is now. Once summer hits it will get better.