- advertisement -

Shots and Pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mape18, Apr 3, 2013.

1. mape18

mape18 Approved members

Does anyone give their child a long acting insulin via a shot and then us the pump for giving insulin when needed? My son will be going on a pump in a few weeks. He swims and plays lacrosse. I see him needing to disconnect from the pump for a least an 1 to 1 1/2 hours each day and even longer in the summer when he lives at the pool. I am worried disconnecting so often will really throw off his numbers. I am thinking if we give a long acting insulin in the morning, will this allow him to disconnect for longer periods of time?

2. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

Have you looked into the Omni Pod? So he will not have to disconnect?

Crystal

3. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

yes, it's called un-thethered=) I don't do it personally but I looked into it a while ago...

There are two way you could do it-

#1. You could give 100% of the basal insulin in a lantus shot and only connect the pump to bolus for corrections/food. this is great if your son doesn't like the tubing

#2. You could give x% of basal through the shot and the rest through the pump. This is a great option because you always have some basal working, but you can still personalize it with the pump (if that makes sense) it's also great if you want SOME basal while he is swimming but not ALL basal.

I'm not sure that was clear... hopefully some of the un-tethered peeps will chime in soon.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

You have lots of options here, and need to find one that works best for you.

-for lacrosse you may find that you can either give missed basal in a bolus, OR you may find that you don't need it with the extra activity. I worried about this for football but found that an hour or two disconnect wasn't a problem with the added activity. My son disconnected for practice/games and then just reconnected when done, it worked for him.
    -for swimming my son just wears his pump. Sometimes he removes it because swimming activity causes lows, so it just depends.
    -One football season we did a small injection of lantus to just sort of cover him overall, so the disconnect times didn't affect him too much. He got about 90% basal via pump and about 10% by injection.
    -you can definitely do untethered, which is where you bolus via pump and basal via lantus. For us personally this is not a reasonable option because he has such variable basal needs especially at night, lantus is not a great fit for him but of course may work great for you.

Good luck!

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we have been pumping "un-tethered" for almost a year. we have been pumping for almost 7 years, and were MDI for the first 6ish months.

You are jsut going to have to see what works for you. I know that your mind is racing about all the possible problems, but everyone is different and what bothers one kid the other kid could care less.

We started using Lantus for 100% basal for several reasons. Mostly started looking into it after haveing a terrible time with numbers during cheerleading season. she was pumping Apidra and was disconnected 3-4 days a week for over 2 hours and she would have stubborn highs and sometimes ketones when it was supper hot.

It was supper fustrating that I could not figure it out. I wanted to introduce a shot but my dd was hard to convince at first. But eventually we decided to try when my dd was on spring break last year She loved being free of her pump and not even thinking about it. Her pump lives with her meter/remote and she hooks up to bolus.

Even thow I miss temp basals and combo boluses we actually have been able to keep a good A1C that is seemingly more steady between the seasons. We had more variation with 100% pumping.

It works for us and it is a definate possibility for anyone if they beleive that it is the best choice for their familuy.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We do "untethered" in the summer because we live at the beach.
    My daughter gets a shot of long acting during the day, she hooks up the pump to bolus or correct as needed. Then at night since the Levimere is starting to wear off, we get a small percent of basal to get her through the night.

We've done this for about 3 years and it works very well for us. The first few weeks of summer are a bit tricky as we are trying to get the right balance of dosing Levimere and basal % overnight, but once we get that set it works well.

7. mape18

mape18 Approved members

Thanks everyone.

Beach Bum - this is exactly what I am thinking about. I wonder if they will let us start off on the pump this way. Hope so.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Depends on the doctor. Don't be surprised if the give you some resistance. I would say to tell your doctor why you want to do it and be firm in your stance. Do as much research as possible prior.