- advertisement -

Shipping insulin away to college

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by OSUMom, Sep 9, 2007.

1. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

If you DS/DD lives far away for college and you have mail order insulin, do you have the insulin shipped to their college address or do you have it still shipped to your home?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Is it possible to arrange to have the insulin delivered overnight first thing in the morning? There is an option with UPS and Fed Ex...and if so, if your son has a tracking number he can contact the carrier to ask approximately what time it will be delivered so he can look out for it, or ask his housemates to do the same.

Generally we try to have our son take insulin back with him from home because the central distribution office at each of the dorms is not always the best at notifying students about the arrival of packages.

3. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Excellent question to ask our supplier, Ellen! We only have to have Dean remember that it's coming in less than 24 hours. :D The other thing I thought of was even if Dean doesn't come home (which he won't probably before Thanksgiving) maybe one of his roommates from our city will.

Ellen, what's your son's backup plan for administering insulin should the pump malfunction? I don't want to monopolize all the threads on this forum. With a week to college, my brain is overloaded. :D

4. susanH

susanH Approved members

we still get 90 day insulin supplies so he takes it with him when he goes away. there was one time when he called to tell me he was really low on insulin and i fed-exed two bottles to him in coldpack, overnight. his school is very good at notifying kids when there's a pickup. however, you have to be careful not to let it sit over the weekend, the mailroom closes early friday afternoon.

my son keeps an old 508 pump with him at school in case of malfunction. his original 508 failed on july 4th one year and if i hadn't been able to find a friend in this township with a spare insulin pump, he would have had to go 72 hours on injections of humalog. no one would help due to the holiday weekend. so, we got a replacement 508 which was still on warranty and soon afterwards were able to "upgrade" to another style. he kept the 508 as backup but admits he's not sure he could even turn it on after all this time.

i wonder if minimed or any other pump company will sell you a reconditioned pump to keep as a spare; that's what i'd want to do if i didn't have this spare.

5. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Thanks for your thoughts, Susan. I don't know if I want to go for the expense of buying a used pump in the possible event of a malfunctioned one, but ultimately that would be the best scenario for sure. My husband and son just look at me like why am I planning this when nothing is wrong now?

We'd probably be like you guys - a problem happen over a holiday weekend. :(

6. Margaret O

Margaret O Approved members

Our endo gave us a full prescription of everything; needles, testing strips, short acting and long acting insulin, etc. and suggested that Pat find a pharmacy near his school to order supplies down there; part of the responsibility thing he desparately needs to learn. He found a CVS and since we use one up here they could transfer all of his records and his insurance information. The only thing they needed was a new script since the school is out of state.

He is pumping with just novolog but they gave him two vials of long acting in case his pump fails, then he can go back to shots. When we had our last meeting at the endo before "take off" they made him program their phone number into his cell so if he needed anything he could call them directly, and not me. Now that he is 18 the whole privacy act kicks in and, while the doctors work with us, per federal laws, he has to give us permission :eek: to discuss his medical condition with his doctors. (What an eye opener that was!) The act is called FERPA if you are interested.

I really like our endo group and they really have done a great job to work with his independence. He just needs to buy into the whole thing. Tonight we were talking about something related to diabetes and before I could say anything, he said that he was going to call the endo tomorrow morning. :)

Margaret O
    Mom to Pat -18 D'xd 4/16/03 Type 1

7. momto2

momto2 Approved members

We just got through sending the first "refill" of our daughter's prescriptions (both types of insulin, syringes, test strips, etc.) to her college dorm. I was amazed....they sent the insulin (90 days worth - she has a fridge in her dorm room, so not a problem) overnight to her at no extra charge to us! She still has an active prescription at Walgreens, which we will leave there in the event of an emergency.

The overnight stuff came directly to her dorm. The non-rush items she had to go pick up at the main postal place. She goes to school out of state, and over 7 hours drive from home.

The ONLY problem we had was the faxed prescription changed the mailing address not just for her, but for all of us, so my husband's blood pressure medicine went to our daughter! Fortunately, he has enough until we will pass through in 2 weeks on a trip we are taking.

The next time she needs re-orders, she'll be coming home for Christmas.

I have to say, I am NOT happy doing diabetes supplies by mail-order. I am angry that we are blackmailed into doing it this way by making us potentially pay full price after the 3rd retail pharmacy purchase for long-term medicine.