- advertisement -

she seems to be getting sicker???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lotsoftots, Jun 27, 2010.

1. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

Samantha has had a rough week!!!! Its still the ear Thur we went to the ER they gave her Augmentin in the hosp and gave us a script to fill, she has been on this I know only 48 hours but this morning (Sat) she woke me up she was in tears telling me her ear hurt more..we had a Dr appointment at 9am so at least I knew she would be taken care of..well the Dr said she has a very bad case of swimmers ear ( the ER Drs said it was an inter ear infection...sigh so they didnt follow my Dr directions of doing an ear wick at the hosp)) so today the Dr also put her on another antibiotic called Zithromax on top of the other and ear drops for the pain..ok she is still crying like every 2 hours that it hurts, she looks like she is whipped poor thing, and just a little bit ago she throw up..she goes from high 300 down to 80, she tells me half her face hurts,, right now its 2:30am and we are still up and she is still crying from the pain :(
    how long should this take before the pain starts to ease up a bit???? She doesnt seem to be getting better more like she is getting worse it that possible?

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

so is she is having pain relief? Like Tylenol? I think antibiotics start working in about 24 hrs.

3. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I second the pain relief stuff...alternate doses of tylenol and ibuprofen, I think ibuprofen is every 6 hours and tylenol every 4 hours...but if she's in that much pain, I'd call the pediatrician again....poor baby....

4. pr39

pr39 Approved members

If she wasn't better by mornng or by Monday mornng I would ask Dr. about xray or ct scan. Rarely an ear infection can turn become much more serious for example mastoiditis. It is rare but it does happen. Or possibly she is just on the wrong antibiotic.
    I hope she is feeling better soon.

5. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

If it is primarily a pain issue, THIS will work well. You will know in just about 12 hours if she is getting relief. The combo od antibiotics working on the infection and the pain meds should not take a long time to ease her pain.

My grandson has had an AWFUL time with ear infections and high fevers recently. Once he ended up in the ER due to high fever (105.8) and dehydration. He is only 15 months old. Amoxicilan and Augmentin do not even begin to touch the infections. He needs a stonger one from the beginning. Rocephrin works amazingly well.

I know drs. like to start with the common antibiotics to prevent future resistance. But, sometimes you as mom realize it is not working. You have to ask (demand if necessary) that they prescribe a more powerful one.

Ear infections should improve (pain relief) in 24 - 48 hours if the antibiotic is working.

6. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

P.S. - We've been with the same pediatrics office for 23 years. They know I generally "follow" their guidelines. So, if I insist on something else - they listen. They trust "mommy" or "grammy" instinct quite well.

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Could she have a throat or a toothache and be feeling it as an ear ache? I don't think that's common for kids, but I think it happens with adults.

Sorry for your baby's pain.

8. m3l3al

m3l3al Approved members

I would also say try a heating pad on the side of the ear and face that hurts. That worked well for us.

9. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

She very well could be on the wrong antibiotics! None of them work 100% of the time. When the girls had strep, BOTH of them (on different antibiotics) had to switch to another one because it did not clear their infection. Please call the pediatrician and explain the situation. I hope she is feeling better soon :(.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Deb Im so sorry! Poor Samantha:( Swimmers ear is a very painful condition where pressure builds behind the ear drum. If antibiotics dont help they may have to go in and make a small hole so that the stuff can drain. Has the pedi ever suggested tubes? My younger brother had to have those, he had ear infections constantly and also had trouble with hearing from the fluid buildup in his ears. I hope shes feeling a little better today and the doc was able to give her relief

11. Rcj176

Rcj176 Approved members

Our strep was bad with the kids this week and tylenol just wasn't cutting it. They had me give hydrocodone instead which is a combination of tylenol and codeine for pain relief. Maybe see if they can get you a script for that. i am so sorry that the pain in unbearable...that's yucky!

12. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I echo the throat issue. Maybe get that checked out.

Hope she feels better soon!

13. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Zithromax can make people feel horrible--me for one. Downright rotten, I tell them I'm allergic that's how horrible I felt.

As for swimmers ear, different type of infection and needs a different type of treatment. I believe we got cipro antibiotics ear drops, oral really don't help much for swimmers ear. I find that swimmers ear hurts my kids worse.

Try some rice in a sock, warm it in the micro and put against her ear, the heat may help. Not sure what other home remedies for swimmers ear.

14. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

How is she feeling?

15. lotsoftots

lotsoftots Approved members

it took till dinner today before she wanted to eat instead of me making her eat :D she is looking a lot better and she said her ear still hurts but nothing like the pass few days...YAY!!!!

16. etringali

etringali Approved members

I knew swimmers ear well. The wick hurts like hell to have put in, but it gets the drops down in. i was given erythymycin whenever I had swimmers ear, and I was extremely prone to it. Hurts worse than regular inner ear infection. Warm compresses actualy help with pain and pressure, helps kinda liquefy some of the gunk so it flows out of ear. There tends to be a lot of crusty nasty gunk.

Hope she feels better soon. swimmers ear is so unpleasant. after it cleared up I was told to use auri-dri after swimming.

17. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Glad to hear that she is doing a little better.