- advertisement -

She just switched from NPH to Lantus.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kittycatgirl, Jun 26, 2006.

1. kittycatgirl

kittycatgirl Approved members

I haven't posted in a while but I thought this might help those who are trying to decide if they want to switch from NPH to Lantus. It has only been about 5 days into it but so far we both love it. We are not living by the clock anymore....we are not making her eat when she doesn't want to.... she has freedom to make food choices at each meal (small meal, medium meal or large meal) She is 12 so she can sleep late if she wants to.... and she hasn't gone low since she was put on it. I am not sure which one of those I like the best but it is probably the freedom it gives her to eat when she wants.

The only down fall is that she will need to get a shot every time she eats. She says mom I want a snack... so she needs a very small shot.... but I know she is hungry because she knows to eat requires a shot. So we are no longer feeding the insulin but rather feeding her when she is hungry. We went to an amusement park for her friends B-day (Lots of walking/running) she didn't go low at all. If we were on NPH I would have had to have given her a lot of extra food to compensate for the exercise with a lot of BS tests.

So far so good,:)
    Dee

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, Lantus was great for us too. Our educator called it pumping without the pump, because the Lantus/Novolog combo mimicked what would be happening once we went on the pump. Being only 4 when she was on the combo it was great because she had days where she barely ate, and we only had to feed her, and as you said, not the insulin.

Good luck!

3. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Yes, NPH is prett much a nightmare, and I don't know why some endos still insist on using it. My neighbor who is also T1 and I agreed that some of the worst lows we ever had was while we were on NPH. You just can't plan for the second peak associated with NPH, especially when you are dealing with a little one who may or may not decide to eat when the NPH says it's time.

4. allisa

allisa Approved members

thanks for the post....we, too are switching from NPH to Lantus in preperation for the pump....haven't made the switch yet.....EVERYONE seems to love it....so why do endos still start with NPH ??

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I often wonder if docs still use NPH because 1. it's been around for so long and 2. Lantus has not been approved for use in young kids (no long term studies have been completed yet in kids on Lantus).

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

We started out on NPH because William didn't need ANY insulin at all overnight. The effect of NPH had worn off mostly by night - he got his shot in the morning.

As his honeymoon ended his numbers started creeping up overnight and we were finally able to go on lantus.

As far as I know there isn't an insulin out like lantus that only lasts 12 hours. If your child started out diabetes needing 24 hours of background insulin though then I say go right to the lantus.

7. rsmom

rsmom Approved members

We just switched DS to Levemir (works almost exactly like Lantus) - he's 3, and the change is amazing!! It's been almost 2 weeks, and we've noticed so many changes. Among them:

DS is actually hungry now, and is eating full meals - this is huge, as before it was a fight for every mouthful as he was constantly having us push food.

No lows - and no big highs either! The steadier BS's, as opposed to a swing from high to low, have meant that his behaviour has been SO much better - no crazy mood swings.

The flexibility is big for us, too - we've been able to decide at the last minute to throw a picnic in the car and head to the airport to watch planes land....even though it meant dinner wouldn't be until after 6pm (before, it always HAD to be by 5 in order to leave time for the bedtime snack). The nights he doesn't want to eat before bed, he just doesn't :)

My favourite - no lows during the night!!! This is a huge, huge benefit - I sleep so much better, and DS does too as he doesn't have me trying to rouse him during the night to eat (which was always a big problem - he's not good when he's tired!! Once finally awake, it would be near impossible to get him to go back to bed).

We're moving towards the pump, and so we OK with the increased shots as it's really just a temporary measure (for a couple of months). DS has been a real trooper, and handles the shots very well.

The good news is that we're getting a lot of the work needed for the pump done already - tweaking his correction factors, ratios, etc. so the transition should be a lot easier when it happens. DH and I are just so happy with the changes we've seen already - it's the best thing we did since DS's diagnosis (of course, the pump will likely take that position when it happens ;) )

So yes - for any parents on the fence about what to do, I'd say GO FOR IT!!!!

:D

8. RobinKop

RobinKop Approved members

Second peak?

We're on NPH and I'm sure it is to avoid more shots. Kim fights us like crazy for those shots and we're only doing 2 a day. I would bet that is why our Endo has not brought up Lantus again. (We discussed it a bit early in diagnosis and decided to stick with 2 shots a day.)

Because we reley so much on the NPH it does make things difficult. I know it is not consistant and we have experienced that.

I'm very curious about the "second peak" that Brensdad mentioned.

Our endo never told us about that. Have others experienced that?

That would certainly help clear up some mysteries if NPH can have more than one peak........

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  9. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

We loved lantus/ novalog too when we where on it.. ( now pumping).. while at the hospital they started charlize on nph.,... that lasted the 1st day only and i said No way.... switched to lantus and great...

10. Mojo's mommy

Mojo's mommy Approved members

Holy Cow!!!!!

I think that this post just helped me make up my mind.We have a horrible time with lows , yesterday Courtney was 2.1 at noon, I just about panicked , and again in the evening 3.3 not as bad but still low.NPH is only good because it limits the injections but if I could avoid lows all together for her I would be over the moon. Can you really skip a bedtime snack on Lantus???? I know that would make her very happy as well I would not have to push the food all the time...I'm so excited that I have finally come to terms with it....Thank you ...Thank you ...Thank you We go July 13th for our next appointment at Children's:)

11. rsmom

rsmom Approved members

Teri,

You can absolutely skip a bedtime snack with the Lantus/Levemir - it's really wonderful. We were having all kinds of problems getting Ryan to eat a snack after dinner....if he didn't eat enough, he would always, always go low during the night. It's just really such a relief to not have to push the food...to be able to wait for him to tell ME that he's hungry. If he eats and wants to eat again an hour later, it's ok - if he doesn't want to eat at all, it's ok.

It's only been a couple of weeks, and while we're still tweaking the ratios a bit, I wouldn't go back to NPH. Life is just that little bit easier now, and Ryan is happier, too :)

12. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

We have been on Lantus from the get go. It is nice since my son is not a big breakfast eater in the mornings and during the weekends he could skip breakfast all together...play videos in his room and then just head out of a Brunch around 10:30 or 11am! We do need to take Humalog for each meal and of course the Lantus at night which makes at least 4 shots as apposed to the two for NPH. But the high's and low's are tolerable and it seems to be working great with over all nice BG's!!! We will be moving toward the pump in the next couple of months, kind of apprehensive about "learning a new way" again, but I am hoping it will be a benefit for him.