- advertisement -

She decided she has had enough

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by toohughey, Jan 24, 2014.

1. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

My DD is 16 now and she wanted off the ping. She decided it was such a pain to keep track of site changes, cartridges, and complicated basal regimens. So after 6 years of pumping, we switched to MDI and kept the Dexcom G4.

Things have never been better. She is caring for her self so much better, more relaxed, it is easier to leave the house quickly. Her bloodwork is still out, but I am sure her A1c will be better (down from 8.3 I hope). I no longer have to get up in the middle of the night and fill a cartridge because she forgot to tell me it was almost empty. No more worrying about a malfunction while she is overnighting with friends.

I am guessing pumping was just getting tedious and we needed a break. Also her belly is the only place that worked for her and it was looking used up!

Anyone else have a good experience switching back to MDI? I hate to put aside such expensive technology that we invested so much time on, but it has gone great.

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My daughter took a pump break after two years of pumping. She was 8 at the time. I was a nervous wreck but was happily surprised at how easy the transition was! She was on MDI until last year and I think she only went back to pumping because her brother was diagnosed and wanted one and she didn't want him to have anything cooler than what she had. :p For her, MDI is a perfectly comfortable choice. She has no issues with doing shots anywhere, anytime. I can see her rotating between pumping and MDI many times in her future, just because shots are so much easier.

For us, the greatest addition to MDI was an app called Diabetes 360. It allows you to have pump logic for MDI - tracks insulin on board, calculates doses, even tracks site rotation. We had an iPod Touch in her diabetes bag and used it all the time. Loved it.

Our only downside was trying to handle her dawn phenonemon with Levemir. We were usually giving Novolog at 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning to offset the highs and get her ready for breakfast after she woke up. I don't miss that ;) But, that was the only real downside. MDI for her has always been a positive experience :)

I hope your daughter continues to enjoy her time off the pump!

3. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

My son was dx'd at 14(in 2007) - he was on the omnipod for about a year and half and when he started having a ton of failures and adhesive trouble he went back to MDI then this past summer he got a MM Revel and really liked it for about 3 months then he decided to switch back to MDI and his A1c has gone down from the upper 6's to 6...he said he preferred MDI because he knew that when he takes a shot he is getting what he needs and it's done. He also said the sites are ok - better than the pods but after about day 2 the adhesive starts itching and curls up so he will probably be one of those that sticks with MDI and is successful with it.

4. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

After 5 years of pumpIng my dd gave it up. That was 5 yrs ago now. She had never looked back. Her A1cs improved too. I only occasionally miss it. We did get her to start using the Dexcom recently though.

5. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I think it's great that she took the plunge back to MDI if pumping was getting tedious. Sometimes I find pumping tedious for all the reasons you mention.

I'm not Type 1, but I know that sometimes I need a little "help" to get excited about tedious things. Like if I get in a "I don't want to work out" phase, some new workout clothes, downloading a new album, or taking a new class might get me motivated again.

As long as she's motivated again to take care of herself and liking and being successful on her new method - fantasic. And if she ever feels that MDI is getting tedius, and pumping will get her motivated again - that's fantastic, too!

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Coco is back to MDI as well! We did untethered for 1 year and now we are pure MDI for about 6 months now. She just wanted to be unhooked and I am ok with that. I told her we can pick back up with pumping whenever she is ready.

7. Johan'smom

Johan'smom Approved members

We just recently went back to MDI as well.... although it was not my son's choice. His A1C was at 11 and the Dr. said he is not checking his BG enough while on the pump to be safe, so she took him off. He is also 15 and not taking much responsibility. I must say, I find he is doing better on MDI than I expected. We are hoping for a good A1C at the next check... (If yesterday's numbers are any indication - all in the 100s).