- advertisement -

Sharps disposal in Boston

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Chippy28, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Chippy28

Chippy28 Approved members

I'm moving to Boston in about 6 weeks and am trying to figure out what their regulations are for the disposal of sharps. From what I have read, the sharps must be placed in a puncture-resistant container and then dropped off at specific drop-off sites. Is this correct? A large percentage of my sharps are bulky (i.e., insets and Dexcom inserters) and won't easily fit in a laundry detergent bottle without filling it up in a week. Any ideas on how to handle this?

Also, this is probably a long shot, but does anyone know of any good adult endos in the area?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I just toss those. Re-cap the inserter for the infusion set, sometimes I fold down the needle first, but I just throw them in the regular garbage.

Boston is one of the most medically flush cities in the US, I'm sure you'll find someone who is a good fit. :)

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Folgers can for the sharps?

4. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Welcome to the area! We are an hour south of Boston but go up there every month or so. We go to Joslin; they have an adult part too which is actually bigger. They deal with a lot if type 2 but I would think they'd do well with T1 too.

Yes, sharps need to be dropped off at approved places, often fire stations or the like.

5. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

I bought a 5 gallon bucket as a sharps container. It lasts a long time and when it is full we take it to the disposal site

6. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm not completely sure about how to dispose, but you can toss insets, Dex since they are self contained. If I recall, you can just use either the sharps container and lock it or a laundry bottle and duct tape it and toss.

As for ends, I have friends who use Dr. Bashoff and Dr. Patti at Joslin. Both are very happy with them.

8. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I don't consider the Dexcom inserter to be a sharp, since once the needle retracts you can't get it back out. When I used insets I just recapped it. That's designed to be it's own mini-sharps container.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

Good idea. We are supposed to use a container, seal(ie tape) and toss in regular garbage. I have been cramming stuff down little openings of plastic bottles from home, laundry etc, but will switch to your idea. Cheap and easy.
    Ali

10. wearingtaci

If you have a chick til a near you they will even give you a 5 gallon pickle bucket,if you ask. I bought ours at TSC for $5,because Sophie wanted a camo bucket instead of a plain white one

11. Ali

Ali Approved members

Hee Hee :D Love it.
    Ali

12. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

This is a great idea! I got free buckets for diapers way back from a grocery store that did cakes; the frosting comes in those & they go through a lot.

13. Chippy28

Thank you everyone! I love the 5 gallon bucket idea since Boston doesn't allow for disposal of any sharps in the garbage. Plus it will be cheap, which is important since I am moving to Boston to go to PA school. Can't wait to be a broke student again! ;)

wearingtaci, do you hand the bucket over at the drop off site and then replace the bucket each time?

Also, thank you for the endo suggestions. I will be going to school and living near Joslin, so I am glad to hear that they have a good adult unit.

14. wearingtaci

I just hand the whole bucket over. Every 6 months in a nearby town there is a hazardous trash day,and either I or my dad(t2d)take all the sharps and get rid of them. To !e $5 every 6 months is an drop in the bucket and way cheaper then the sharps containers you can buy

15. Chippy28

Awesome...thanks for the info! :)