- advertisement -

sharps containers

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dvane, Jan 4, 2007.

1. dvane

dvane Approved members

we are having a hard time finding a place to take our full containers. does anyone have any suggetions?

2. coni

coni Approved members

We were told that as long as the needles and lancets were in a closed non-clear plastic container (e.g. milk jug), they could be thrown in with the regular residential garbage. This probably depends on where you live.

3. Threebeans

Threebeans Approved members

We are in Florida, and told to bring them to any hospital emergancy room. They take the full one and give you a new one.

David

4. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

out here in california we take them to the dump. But they have to be in a sharps container, we use to put them in the big clear water jugs (1 gallon) but they will not accept that anymore.

5. bethdou

bethdou Approved members

In Arizona, you just put them in your trash - we buy the Sharps containers at Costco (about $4), fill them up, put the lid on, and toss it. We have also used water jugs, tin cans with lids, etc. You'll have to check your local regs to see what you can do; will your pharmacy take them?

We don't fill them up so much any more now that she's pumping; she hardly ever changes the lancet and we rarely use pen needles. I put the lid on the needle that you draw the insulin up into the cartridge with and put it in the regular garbage....as long as it has a lid on it, i"m not too worried about it poking anyone.

:)

6. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

We use a coffee can, and duct tape it shut. We also have to write that it is a bio hazard, and that it has sharps in it. Our insets don't fit in a sharps container very well.

7. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

Our pediatrician's office will take them for us.

Kirsten

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency brochure is at this link and is quite good.
    http://www.swa.org/pdf/epa_needle_options.pdf

It goes into detail by state for some of the states. A glance of the info includes:
    You can contact the Coalition for Safe Community Needle Disposal by
    phone at (800) 643-1643 or online at ​
    www.safeneedledisposal.org. The
    coalition can assist in implementing a safe sharps disposal program in
    your area.
    If your state or municipality wishes to establish a syringe exchange program,
    contact the North American Syringe Exchange Network at (253) 272-
    4857 or
    www.nasen.org.

I suggest you phone your local county health department or solid waste authority and ask them about proper disposal. They may give you a container and then trade the full for an empty when you turn it in.

I'm in Palm Beach County Florida and this is the information for our county:

http://www.swa.org/site/hhw/medwaste/medical_waste.htm

Medical Waste

Needles and syringes, often referred to as Sharps, should not be placed in the garbage, recycling containers, or down the toilet.
    [​IMG]Sharps are defined as having the potential to puncture or lacerate. These include syringes with needles, detached needles, and disposable lancets.
    Because they are used for medical purposes, or may have come in contact with garbage or wastewater, sharps may carry infectious diseases and can pose a danger to solid waste workers or anyone who accidentally comes in contact with them. The SWA does not accept sharps or any biomedical waste at any facility. Home Users

The Palm Beach County Health Department has a Sharps Depository program specifically for home users. For information and drop-off locations, call the Health Department's Biomedical Waste Section at 561-355-3018.

Current Palm Beach County Health Department Sharps Exchange Locations:

Jupiter Auxiliary Health Center

6405 Indiantown Road, Jupiter

561-746-6751

West Palm Beach Health Center

1150 45th Street, West Palm Beach

561-514-5301

C.L. Brumback Health Center

38754 State Road 80, Belle Glade

561-996-1600

Lantana/Lake Worth Health Center

1250 Southwinds Drive, Lantana

561-547-6800

Delray Beach Health Center

225 S. Congress Avenue, Delray Beach 561-274-3100

Palm Beach: http://www.swa.org/pdf/pbcdoh_sharps_2003.pdf

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  9. allisa

allisa Approved members

Our town requests that you don't put them in trash and they collect them at the Health Office in Town Hall. Another option is shcool nurse....my sons nurse had asked me what I do with them and had offered to take them for me as the town collects sharps from all the schools.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our local hospital has a sharps return day. They have big bins and you just go and drop either a sharps or laundry detergent container off. They do this about 4x's a year.
    Your peds or endos office should be able to advise you as to where to drop off.

Some CVS pharmacies used to take them, I don't know if they still do or not.

11. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

We put them in the household trash in a closed container. That's what we were directed to do anyway.

12. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

I need to call and find out what to do with ours. We were instructed at the hospital if disposal was a nuisance, to just bring it to clinic and they could incinerate it for us.

Is it pathetic that I can't throw the darn things out. :( Everyone of those little needles has been in my son's body and represent a roller coaster of emotions.

13. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We don't throw ours out..we burn them... we heat by wood so we just throw them in the fire.. when K was first dx we did an experiment and made sure that everything melted down.. my DH sifted through the ashes an nothing was left (we throw the ashes --cooled of course;)-- outside.. wouldn't want someone to step on the a half cooked needle.. but everything completely dissappears.. so we don't bother with a sharps container:)

14. jeep_bluetj

jeep_bluetj Approved members

We used to throw ours out. Now our city has a city-wide sharps disposal service. (Then THEY throw them out into the exact same dump).

This'd be a good racket to be in. They get something like $5 for each one they get rid of (in the exact same dump).

We have so few now we're pumping, we don't worry about it. It'll take us years to fill up one sharps container now.

I do like just chucking them in the fire though - that's a good idea.

15. sharon c

sharon c Approved members

we take them into our chemist and they dispose of them and give us a free replacement bin.

16. dvane

dvane Approved members

Thanks for the info.... I called around to a few different places in the area (Seattle) and we can take them to our check ups every 3 months. One less place to drive to get supplies =)