- advertisement -

Share your stories for Diabetes Awareness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick Masercola, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nick Masercola

Nick Masercola Approved members

Hey everybody,

In honor of National Diabetes Month, the Juvenile Diabetes Cure Alliance is asking for people to share their own stories of overcoming much of the ignorance surrounding this disease. Then, on monday, we'll collect all of the stories and post them on our blog for everyone to see to coincide with World Awareness Day.

The stories can be anything you want--a quick snippet of some "so wrong it's hilarious" advice you were given, to a more serious story of dealing with doctors who assumed they knew what was best for you ( despite the fact they don't have this disease), or something you're doing to spread awareness. Anything goes.

I'll start off ( and probably pop back with a few others later):

On the funnier side of things, one time a girlfriend of mine told her mom ( the night before I'd be coming over for dinner) that I happened to be a diabetic. When we showed up, it turned out her mother had been terrified of what to cook for me, had chopped out any sugar or carbs from the meal, and made sure everything was low fat, sugar, calorie etc. because " she didn't want to put me in the hospital".

Kind of sweet, but wholly unnecessary ( and I made sure to explain to her that I wouldn't go to the hosptial if there happened to be some sugar in my food lol). Though to this day if she happens to be around and I say " I'm tired", she rushes me a cup or orange juice as if it's a cure-all.

So that's my quick amusing one, what about yours?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just because a doctor does not personally have the disease they are treating, that does not mean they cannot provide quality treatment for their patients.

3. Nick Masercola

Nick Masercola Approved members

That's definitely true. I mainly picked it as an example as it's on the more serious side of the spectrum of what ignorance can do, and it's something I heard about a decent amount of times. I don't mean all doctors who aren't diabetics can't treat the illness, otherwise a bunch of us would be in big trouble lol.