- advertisement -

Shame on Animas

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Rehoboth, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Rehoboth

Rehoboth New Member

I just want to let parents know that after 5 years on the Medtronic revel, my 9-year-old daughter decided to try out the animas ping when her warranty ran out. We ordered it, went through the training, etc. and after the first day we kept getting prime errors. I didn't even know what a prime error was from using Medtronic. After a week of prime errors and numerous calls we sent the pump back and they sent a new replacement pump. Guess what? More prime errors. Every day. Sometimes several times a day. And guess what happens when you get a prime error? The pump stops delivering basal. So if it happens in the middle of the night and your daughter silences the alarm, it just shuts down.

After numerous calls to get the shipping return label, I sent back the pump and the supplies. Now they are taking FOREVER to process the return so our insurance company won't cover infusion sites for Medtronic b/c it's still showing that we have plenty of animas supplies. When you call animas they just transfer you around and no one helps.

I hate the company now. The good thing is that this process has shown me the value of Medtronic equipment and service.

I'm not usually a person who reviews products or rants online, but I had to share this b/c it has been a very stressful two months. And when I was researching whether or not to make the change, a post like this would have been helpful.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma's been using the Ping for 7 years and we maybe get that once a year, if that. Did you check your caps to make sure they were all tight? Getting the same error on multiple devices would lead me to believe something wasn't being operated right.

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

We have gotten that error once.

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We have never had a Prime error - sounds like super bad luck to have 2 do the same thing. Maybe you weren't given the correct Animas training? I'm not sure there ever has been a post like this before.

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

And notice this person just joined today to complain about Animas - why would you do that?

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Agree. 4 1/2 years here. We've had plenty if issues during that time, but only once with a priming issue (faulty motor). Having this issue on 2 different pumps would definitely be unusual.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Been pumping with Animas Ping since it came out for all of about 6 months. I have 2 kids on the Animas and 1 is an out of warrenty pump. I have gotten a few prime errors over the years but not many.

I Really wonder if there was a difference between the two pumps and it may have been user error, but you just did not know. I could see someone that switched not tightening the cap tight enough or maybe not seating the cartridge in properly because it is very different on the other pump.

I have also tried the t:slim and the Omni-POD and Accu check pumps and I guess I love Animas's system the best.

8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

We have a lot of prime errors, including one this morning, but we know the problem. Ours are caused by temperature and as it's winter down here and as our house is not the most well-insulated house we get lots of errors. Our son is all snug and warm in bed then he gets out and the change in temperature causes a change in the volume of insulin. The pump detects a change in pressure and gets confused as to how much insulin is there so it alarms and stops the basal rather than carrying on and delivering too much. We detach the tubing and prime through some insulin and all is well. One point to make is that we neeed to prime through at least 6 units for the pump to be able to calibrate itself properly. If you prime through small amounts that could explain the repeated prime errors as the pump can't reset itself.

I'm guessing from the OPs mention of insurance companies that they may be in the US so it probably isn't the same problem at this time of year but thought I'd let you know one explanation. The prime errors are frustrating but are not a pump problem in our case, more of a house problem!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  9. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

You must have a really cold house! You should apply for the better homes insulation grants especially with Finlays health...

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You're kidding, obviously.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We've been pumping with Animas for 9 years and have only had this a handful of times. Once it was a pump defect and we were immediately sent a new one, other times it was because the cap wasn't secure, we forgot to prime, didn't prime enough and once because my daughter decided to pull the cartridge out to show her friend.

I think it's really strange this happened and am surprised Animas didn't do a load of trouble shooting with you the second go around to make sure everything was being done properly. We always make sure we prime 13u to make sure everything runs smoothly.

12. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

I have nothing to add to the comments on Animas, but I love seeing in bold, underline.... Keep Calm and Treat The Number. I find it so comforting when it pops out at me.

13. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

We had this issue when we first started with a Ping years and years ago. We discovered it was because my son was tugging on the tubing, or dropping the pump and catching it by the tubing. (I think there was also another user error we were doing that is rather common, but I can't remember what it was.)

Once the CDEs and Animas were contacted about the issue, we were re-educated. It's been five years now, and I can't remember the last time we had this error.

For what it's worth, we just ordered a replacement Ping because my son likes it so much.

14. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

We have occlusion alarms at least 3 times a year. Is it the pump or user error? I am not sure, but they are random and far and few between. I believe, OP's experience is highly unusual. I've never read another post on the ping with that many occlusion alarms.

15. Beach bum

We found that the occlusion alarms came from user error. We use the Insets and it turned out that before pulling it back I was putting the tubing in the little slot, which Animas told me can lead to the set/cannula moving up a bit, so when it goes on it gets mashed up a bit causing an occlusion. By fixing how we prepped the set, we haven't had an alarm since.

16. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

Issues with the pump and or CGM can be very frustrating. I am very happy with choosing the Medtronic pump and CGM. My son has been on the Revel and upgraded to the 530G with the Enlite sensor. Based on our personal experience, I would continue to choose Medtronic. I am sure the other companies offer a good product and service. Our individual experiences can vary with these companies. People tend to very vocal about their preferred insulin pump and insulin pump company. It has a lot to do with personal choice and experience. We based our decision on the valued recommendation of our doctor, the integrated CGM and my wife's experience working for a heart doctor who used Medtronic pace makers. This lady was just venting. It is not necessary to defend Animas or speculate if it is pump malfunction or user error. I would recommend that the family work with there diabetes team and pump company in person to resolve the issue if it has happened with a second insulin pump. It could be any number of factors. Just because this family had the Medtronic pump for five years does not guarantee success with the Animas product.

17. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Jacob used a 2020 for many years and went through maybe three pumps. One for sure was due to occlusion alarms but that was after using it for a couple of years. We never received a pump that had issues right away and had very few problems overall.

18. Beach bum

I wouldn't call the below responses defending. We are sharing our personal experiences and giving feedback in hopes that maybe what we have shared might be useful to them.

Regardless, it's unfortunate that this happened to them and I hope that things are back on track for them.

19. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

I agree, I hope they are able to get back on track. I am sorry to hear about their added stress these past couple of months due to pump malfunction.