- advertisement -

Severe insulin resistance

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sammysmom, Mar 31, 2015.

1. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

My son is almost 14 and has been dx since he was 1yr old. He was experiencing typical puberty insulin resistance for about a year and regular basal/bolus changes were helping. Lately though, it has all gone out the window. He's at a 1:4 ratio for most of the day and his correction is now at 1:30. At his endo visit the other day the endo said we are seeing typical teenage insulin resistance. Together we have decided to add Metformin xr into his routine. She said that it will help with the resistance. I really hope so. She started with the XR to bypass the gastro trouble many have on the short acting form of it. Has anyone one else had to add this into the mix? Any results yet? I've always heard about how bad insulin resistance can be during puberty but WOW, I'm still shocked by how bad it is. The endo said that this will pass, he is just in the thick of it right now.

2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I was going to suggest Metformin but it seems that is already on your idea list. Turmeric works very much like Metformin except with less stomach upset and not as strongly. The results we have with turmeric are measureable and noticeable so I expect your results should be more measureable and noticeable.

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

My dd has been on Metformin a while now. It has to build up in the system so it takes 2-3 weeks to see a difference usually.

4. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

What's his TDD? Basal? My dd is 13 and gets 1:4 most meals and has a correction factor of 1:20.

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I also have a nearly 14 yr old dxd at 1. Our meals are 1:6 now and ISF 1:5.... basal rates range from 1.6 to 2.4.. I thought that was normal puberty type stuff. Are your sons basals rates much higher? TDD?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  6. sammysmom

He is close to 2.5 all day long. Sits high . We upped the basals from there and still nothing. He's not a big guy either. 5 foot tall and 90 pounds. He's not rebounding either. Just super resistant. It's day 6 on the metformin and he was down to the high 100's-200's today. Looks like it may be working. We will start to lower basal amounts once the numbers start dropping. Increased activity wouldn't even bring the numbers down. He's a swimmer for his school team, made states and was swimming everyday for 5 hours with the numbers never dropping. Teenager with diabetes is just as crazy as when he was a baby with diabetes.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sorry you are struggling. I have seen this comment in other threads like this where people say, we have upped the basal and it didn't help. My comment is, up them again. And again. And again until you actually do see some type of change. Just something to think about, I don't know all the details of what you have done or are dealing with. But I did want to say good luck.

8. sammysmom

Oh we have done that, upped the basals but the bg did not move. When he was at 3.0 all day long the bgs were still the same. It's a hallmark sign of insulin resistance. After talking to quite a few people who,have gone through this, what we are seeing is very normal, just not talked about much. It seems to be slowly working so we are remaining hopeful.

9. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Be grateful your endo understands what's going on. Many peds endos don't believe in adjunct therapy for T1. In my dd's case, it was prescribed by her gyn for PCOS. It's been a huge help.

10. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

You have to really watch for the lows as the dose increases, and know that he will more than likely need more carbs to treat the lows because of the Metformin.