- advertisement -

Severe DKA

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lize, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Lize

Lize Approved members

Hi there! My 14 year old daughter was admitted to hospital on Friday morning in DKA. She had a BG of 56 and PH level of 6.8. 'Luckily' she had severe stomach pain which (I believe) prevented her from falling into a coma. She is @ home now. I know that a PH of 6.7 would have caused her her live. Just glad that she pulled through. She's had Type 1 for 4 years now and this was her first and hopefully last DKA. She was away at her grandmother for the week and never even worn her pump for 3 days. She will NOT be going there again. Or anywhere for a while without me. :mad:

2. Stefanie S.

Stefanie S. Approved members

So happy that she's okay and (((Hugs)))

3. Lize

Lize Approved members

Thanks! I am thinking now - we test in mmol and I think it must be multiplied by 18 (if I remember correctly). If anyone can help with the number?

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Oh, Lize! I'm so sorry you've had to go through this. Are there good counseling systems in South Africa to help her work through the issues that led to such a choice. ?

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Scary! Glad she's ok. Did her grandma not realize she wasn't wearing her pump? Or is she unaware that she needs it?

Btw 56x18 is 1008 :(

6. Lize

Lize Approved members

The grandmother knows... But Alicia is 14 and had this for 4 years. I am not blaiming anyone. Just glad she is fine now. It won't help to throw rocks, BUT she will not go ANYWHERE without me for a longgggggg time. ;) I am just glad she is alive.

7. Lize

Lize Approved members

Jap - thx BG of 1008... :mad::eek:

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm not sure how "throwing rocks" is applicable in this situation... If your dd wants to be off her pump for a break she needs to know how to go back on injections and to understand that going off insulin is simply not an option. Ever.

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Wow, did she not feel bad? My son hates being high and takes action just to feel better.

That is some real denial that she has diabetes. I can understand why she isn't going anywhere without you for a while.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yes, this, my son feels absolutely horrible when high. At 14 is she not doing her own injections/pump management? I truly am not throwing rocks, just trying to understand where her head was in all this.

Glad things have leveled out, sounds very scary.

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Her PH was scary low. I am surprised she was even conscious. The other scary part is how high her blood sugar was. When type 1s present in DKA they are usually not that high, BG being that high makes the situation all the more scar y because it causes the person to be hyperosmolar

The range for venous PH is pH 7.35-7.45. It does not need to be converted. However, you also have to understand PH it is not meant to fluctuate at all, even if it gets to 7.35 it can be a form of acidosis. A pH in the 6?s is very scary and is absolutely sever acidosis. Your daughter is lucky to be alive and not have brain damage

I had to go to hospital with DKA and my PH was 7.1. I was very sick with projectile vomiting, and could barely stand or walk

You really need to impress upon her that the pump cannot be taken off unless a shot of Lantus or some kind of basal insulin needs to be taken. I don't know how you will approach this, but it really is a life and death situation

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Here is a converter calculator if you ever need it again:

http://www.soc-bdr.org/rds/authors/..._and_genetic_dictionaries/e5184/index_en.html

As for your situation, I think there is a difference between "throwing rocks" and trying to determine exactly what happened that led to her hospitalization and why. Simply not letting her out of your sight is not really a solution nor is it probably practical at the age of 14.

If it were me I would have a discussion with my daughter to determine what she did or didn't do and why. Did she simply not give any insulin the entire time she was at her Grandmothers? She is old enough to know better and to know the risks, so what was her reason for not taking insulin?

I would also follow up with your Mother to see how she could have let something like this happen. She must have noticed that she didn't have her pump on or at least seen her not taking insulin for meals.

You can approach it in a non judgmental way. You are seeking to understand because you are concerned about her health, not that you are looking to blame her or your Mother.

Good luck

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

double post

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I am sorry this happened but personally I would be very concerned would not venture to try to to handle this on my own and inlist the help of some professionals.

15. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Although we aren't anywhere near the point of sleepovers at grandmas without me accompanying, I think what I would do from now on would be to check in everyday- if you weren't. Talk to your daughter and her grandma and make sure that she is giving herself insulin and double check with grandma to make sure she sees her doing something at least to cover herself.

16. Lize

Lize Approved members

Thanks for all the replies! Her endo and myself had long talks with her after this incident. She just didn't wear her pump for at least 3 days! :mad: Pity that she had to go through all of this to realize the danger in not taking care of herself! She lied to her gran, to me, and in the end almost died.

17. Jennifer126

Jennifer126 Approved members

I am so sorry you had to go through this! I hope this was enough to impress upon her that this is not a choice and it's what her body needs. Even if she didn't go into DKA you would have found out when the pump was uploaded..... So scary! I am so glad she is ok now!

18. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

not everyone uploads pumps, meters or CGMs. I do nothing with the stored data on our devices.

19. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Same here.