- advertisement -

Seth had mederate ketones for the first time

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Nov 12, 2009.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

When he got home form his dad's, he went to do a pod change and the canula was out:eek: We tested, he was HIGH. Moderate ketones. It's going to be a long night. Especially because dad took my ketone meter out of his bag thinking it was his:mad: Grrrr

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm sorry.:( Hope the high comes down and you flush out those ketones.
    Do an injection if needed.;)

3. buggle

buggle Approved members

I hope Seth's BG and ketones come down quickly. Brendan has been running high all night, so he's still up. He's sick, which is part of the problem, I think.

Grrrr...

4. Heather(CA)

Paula, I will if I need to...He drank a bunch of water...:cwds:

What's wrong with Brendan?:(

Geeezzz I mean mOderate:rolleyes: I hate that you can't fix typos in titles grrr

5. Toni

Toni Banned

Sorry Seth has ketones. When can you get back that meter from Dad? You would think he would rush it back over since Seth needs it. Sure you will be able to flush them out. Unfortunately it is easier to get ketones when you pump (she has only had trace). Hope both Seth and Brendon feel better soon.

6. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Ah, I remember the first time. Pump start. The good thing is they'll clear fast and when he really does gets sick, you'll know how to clear them.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

Heather, the first time is always the scariest but they usually clear very fast. Cameron had only had ketones once when he was on MDI so when we started pumping it really freaked me out the first time the ketones reared their ugly head! Seth is in great hands! :cwds:

8. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Ahh Heather, I so know how you feel! I remember the first time Tyler had ketones at night due to a bad site shortly after he started pumping. I was FREAKING out! But they cleared so quick after the site change, I had to chuckle at myself for freaking so bad.:eek:

Hope they cleared quickly and all is well now!

9. saxmaniac

My suggestion to new pumpers actually is to practice a site failure. Yank the thing out, and do nothing for 1/2 hour. Check your BG as you normally would, and wait for something to tip off something is wrong, because when it happens for real, you're not going to have the knowledge that the site is kinked or removed off or whatever.

It's going to happen eventually - you might as well do it the first time under a controlled circumstance.

10. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

Yeah but it will make the kid feel like crap not getting insulin for that time. In 30 minutes we would miss a basal, and that would skyrocket him. I'm not judging, just wouldn't do it.

11. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

It's scary isn't it! I hope he is all better now. We get them VERY easy, even on MDI we did, you'd think I wouldn't freak with them still, but I do:eek:

12. saxmaniac

You'd be surprised. Alex is very prone to ketones... if his basal is off even a little bit he gets ketones fast. Alex has had ketones over 0.4 probably 40-50 times. So I thought, for sure, I have to worry more than anyone else, right?

But one day, he had a real site failure while we were out shopping. Pod died due to static. We drove home, which took about 1/2 hour. Changed the pod, I bolused the missed basal, and he never got over 140.

If we weren't already pretty well-versed in site failures at home, I would have probably freaked out for no good reason.

13. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

VERY interesting Scott! Glad he never got over 140! Don't want to hijack, but you know why some people get ketones more easily then others?

14. Boo

Boo Approved members

wow, Heather, I haven't been around here much lately. I had no idea he was starting the pod! How long has he been on it? Does he like it? I didn't think he had any interest in pumping.

By the way, you might want to update your signature! :cwds:

15. saxmaniac

Here is what I think:

Well, first of all, people eat different things. Alex used to get ketones faster when he ate less carbs. With pumping came more confidence and eating larger meals. Which means his body isn't on the edge of needing to burn fat all the time.

And... there is a big difference between missing a few minutes of basal, versus a sustained deficit of basal, even if minor.

I've observed that Alex will get ketones if his basal is even only 0.05 less than it should be. That is, over and over, he's had highs plus ketones that I could fire corrections at - .5u, 1u, 2u, that would do nothing. Then, I'd raise the basal 0.05u/hr and it would go away and stay away.

I think when the basal is off, even just a tiny bit, for a long time the body can sense it. And so it shifts into fat-burning mode. That raises the BG and burns ketones. But, if you have a comparatively short interruption, the body doesn't realize it for a while. With a site failure, you will have a few hours of basal left in your system unless it goes for a long time.

Anyway, what I think. Who knows if it's right!

16. Heather(CA)

He's been on it about 9 days. His attitude is that he could take it or leave it. He doesn't hate it, not is he excited.

Last night turned out fine. I'm thinking the cannula must have cone out around dinner because his before dinner BG was good.

He got the correction @ 10:11 it was a BIG correction on the pump...A little freaky, so I tested him again after only 1hr. and 40min. he was down to 326. I waited it out another hour to see what would happen and he had come down to 238. Gave another correction, by 3:30 he was 100. Then he was low, 52 at 5am.

Note to self...NEVER let Seth have peanut butter while treating a low...It took him 1/2 an hour w/o any added carbs (Trusted my gut on that one) to bring him back up.

Breakfast he was 136:D No ketones

17. caspi

caspi Approved members

Scott, I totally agree and think this is a great idea!

Heather, you did a GREAT job last night and now you have that first ketones-with-the-pump under your belt!! Congrats and ((HUGS))!:cwds:

18. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

That makes perfect sense to me.

19. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The pod's cannula is pretty long... any idea why it came out? We've never had that happen. Was it attached someplace where the skin stretches a lot?

20. Heather(CA)

He said the pod came lose because he was sweating...Tha'ts what probably brought the cannula closer to the surface?:confused: