- advertisement -

Service to help Type I kids at school

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by Sam's mom, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Sam's mom

Sam's mom Approved members

My son started kindergarten last Fall and although the staff have been great, the administration doesn't grasp the seriousness of Type I. I know how frustrating this has been for me and I was wondering if anyone is aware of a service to help kids with Type I in school. I am thinking of a program whereby parents could request assistance in negotiating and creating 504s (perhaps sitting in on the meeting to help the parent), educating the school about Type I in general, and other support as necessary. I am an attorney and I would envision this program more as negotiating and advising than as anything litigation based. I have been in touch with the American Diabetes Assoc but there is no person in my state to provide that direct assistance which I think would be helpful. I was thinking of approaching diabetes drug companies to see if they would provide any funding. What do you think? Would such a program be helpful or is the advocacy through the ADA enough? Thanks for reading!

2. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

I think it's a great idea. For a fee, you could provide a small manual with lots of advice and examples of 504's. You could provide telephone and email support if the family is out of your area. Make your services better/faster than what the ADA can do.

3. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

I'd hire you if I had problems! There's a lady who does something similar to this for food allergies in schools.

Good luck and let us know what happens!
    Kelly