advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service Dogs for diabetic children

Discussion in 'Other Hot Topics' started by lycaonia, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lycaonia

lycaonia Approved members

hi all i was wondering if anyone has a service dog or knows anything about their abilities to detect lows. please looking for any information

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

There are a few people here who have service dogs.. They aren't always on, so it may take a bit before someone answers you.. in the mean time you can try a search, if you type in diabetes alert dog, you'll probably get a ton of info:)

We don't have a dog.. but the most important thing to do is to do your research.. talk to people who have used some of the companies.. DON'T just go by websites.. anyone can make up those 'recommendation'.. I also suggest you check out the BBB before choosing a company.

good luck!

3. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

D-Dogs

This Diabetes Blogger owns a D-Service Dog named Dixie, and I am attaching a link to her blog (Dam Diabetes) where she writes this post about Dixie and the place in North Carolina where she went to research and meet them. From what she writes, it sounds like her dog is pretty spot on. I don't have one, but my 5-year old black lab had a sense about her and can sense Lows - she paws at me and comes and tries to sit on my lap whenever my sugar is low. Not quite spot on all the time, but you can tell she knows something's up and is doing what she can. Pretty impressive, in my mind. Good luck in your research and, if you go ahead with one, your D-Dog!

4. lycaonia

lycaonia Approved members

thanks will check it out looking to get started

5. MHoskins2179

D-Dogs Seem Worth It To Me

Good luck in your research. Another point I saw someone blog about or post as a news story recently: there are some scam service dog places out there where the dogs apparently aren't trained and don't do what they are sold to do. I can't offhand recall the details on where or what it was, but wanted to at least point that out. Anyhow, good luck! I'd love to hear what you find and hear how it goes!

6. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

My daughter has a diabetic alert dog that goes to school with her everyday. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

YES, they can and do sense lows as well as highs even from long distances. (Our dog has even alerted on seizures and drugs even though he wasn't trained to do so).

His main focus is his girl and he goes everywhere with her. They just got back from a band trip to Padre Island. He goes to theatre, band, movies, church, even to the hospital (the nurses LOVE him).

You can read a bit about alert dogs at www.lildotspot.com

7. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

may I bump in here and ask a q...
    I was looking into it here in WA and what I found was this it was a $15,000 investment. 5,000 upfront and then another 10,000 after the training was done. Is that the going rate? I'd love to do this for my son as he's so young and the CGM's don't work for him currently, but for $15,000 that'd be nearly impossible for us right now.

8. MHoskins2179

Cost

I have no personal or firsthand knowledge about D-Dogs or cost, but have heard that $15k amount before - the one blogger I read regularly who has a D-Dog mentioned that cost. In her case, she fundraised about $8,000 and got some other personal donations and such outside of that fundraising campaign. While that may not be possible or an option for everyone, it's one thing to keep in mind. Also, I have no clue as to whether insurance would cover any part of that - assuming not, but again have no direct knowledge on the topic.

9. deegee

deegee Approved members

diabetic service dog

My daughter just got her service dog from pawsabilities unleashed in Kentucky. The cost was 7500. we went down there for a week of training. He is doing really well.

10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

if you want a family dog, get a family dog.

if you want a way to detect lows, get a CGM. :)

11. MHoskins2179

Dogs and CGMs

Many who have the D-Dogs say they are actually better than their CGMs many times, particularly because of we're in early generations of the CGM technology and they are often not accurate - as well as the regular burdens of being connected to a device. Some Type 1s and Parents of KWD also say that CGMs aren't workable options for them for various reasons, but the dog is. You do have a "family dog" component to it, but it's more significant than that - particularly for those who may live or be alone a lot and that D-Dog is with them as another safety tool.

12. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

there is absolutely NO scientific evidence to support those claims - that a dog is better than a CGM.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

14. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I am not going to start an argument with anyone on a thread here, because I KNOW this is a heated topic. But I completely disagree with this statement. I have both and I would much, much rather go with the dog. He is much more reliable then the CGM for me.

15. suz

suz Approved members

Are there any real advantages of having a service dog over a CGM? Besides a CGM going 'out of range' or dead batteries - the usual stuff.

16. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

Suzanne,
    Anything I say, I'm not going to be able to back up, so I'm hesitant to post it. I've had my dog for three years and been around tons of trainers, other service dog handlers etc. So I will just post what I know and have heard, I am asking that nobody fry me for it, you are welcome to research it yourselves. I have seen it myself and know it to be true:
    For the diabetic alert dog benefits vs. CGM
    my dog can usually detect a low before the CGM a good 10-15mins. It gives me time to prepare. For ex. if the dog alerts and I test and I am 85, I will restest in 15 mins and discover I am 65. The dog caught that. Yes, the CGM could have, but if the CGM died, or malfunctioned, wasn't calibrated right, etc.
    A dog isn't for anyone and I get that, a lot of people do not see the point of having a diabetic alert dog (DAD) that's fine. I love mine, if you are interested in getting one, I encourage you to research it and the companies before making your decision.

17. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

There is absolutely no scientific evidence to support the claim that a dog can detect a low or high. None.

There are anecdotes and testimonials, but that is not science.

18. Crystall

Crystall Approved members

We just got our Alert Dog!! She is detects the low way before it drops some times as far out as 40 minutes. I know there is no scientific evidence but these dogs are pretty new in the Diabetic world. If any body wants any more info on Alert Dogs please message me and I will share some info.

Ean drops very fast she alerts at times when I would never would have checked. These dogs are tools to help with diabetes. If you see these dogs in action you would be amazed. I have so many amazing story's I could tell!!

19. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

There is of course no proof that God exists either but....;)

I think that Brynn's advice here is the best. Do the research, weigh the pros and cons, talk to the people that are living with these dogs and let them tell you their experiences. Their day to day lives and how their dogs have changed their lives. From what Ive heard, from the people I know who have or their child has a diabetes dogs, its given them a new lease on life. I dont think anything can compare to hearing what they have to say. Knowledge is power, we share knowledge here to empower one another.

20. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

That may be true but it seems beside the point to me. Something is true first, THEN science goes on to prove it. It isn't true BECAUSE you have scientific evidence. There may not be "scientific" evidence YET but that in no way invalidates the facts that ppl with DADs experience daily. Dogs are trained for drugs, bombs, seizures, peanut butter and other foods taht cause allergies, and blood sugar, among other things. There was just an article in Diabetes Forecast I think last month about it.

Just b/c the money hasn't been invested to scientifically "prove" something does not mean it's not true--it's not like it's been DISproven. It DOES mean that you need to do your own research.

I'm not on one side or the other, but just like cgm is not for everybody, and not just b/c of failures, DADs are not for everybody and not just b/c they may not work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.