- advertisement -

Sermon of the Day..

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by sooz, Aug 25, 2011.

1. sooz

sooz Approved members

This has been a really bad bad year for us. I so hope the following message which was in my email this morning is true. It is so hard to understand why bad things happen and I know we have all asked "why did this happen to my beautiful child."
    ----------------

GOD'S CAKE

Sometimes we wonder, "What did I do to deserve this?" or "Why did God have to do this to me?"
    Here is a wonderful explanation:
    A daughter is telling her Mother how everything is going wrong, she's failing algebra, her boyfriend broke up with her and her best friend is moving away.

Meanwhile, her Mother is baking a cake and asks her daughter if she would like a snack, and the daughter says, "Absolutely Mom, I love your cake."

"Here, have some cooking oil," her Mother offers.

"Yuck" says her daughter.

"How about a couple raw eggs?"
    "Gross, Mom!"

"Would you like some flour then? Or maybe baking soda?"

"Mom, those are all yucky!"

To which the mother replies: "Yes, all those things seem bad all by themselves. But when they are put together in the right way, they make a wonderfully delicious cake! "

God works the same way. Many times we wonder why He would let us go through such bad and difficult times. But God knows that when He puts these things all in His order, they always work for good! We just have to trust Him and, eventually, they will all make something wonderful!

God is crazy about you. He sends you flowers every spring and a sunrise every morning.
    Whenever you want to talk, He'll listen. He can live anywhere in the universe, and He chose your heart.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Since you brought this up............I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing that God would choose to allow all the suffering in the world, all the death and destruction and pain. And why he would choose your child to inflict this disease upon and not someone else's child. The thought of God picking and choosing which children will suffer and which children won't doesn't make any sense to me. Sorry.

If thinking in this way gives you comfort, then that is great, I hope it does. But it just doesn't work for me.

3. spamid

spamid Approved members

I don't think God allows suffering, including disease, abuse, cruelty, malice, etc. I think it is a result of the world we live in. As far as people's actions go, we all choose how we act, if we treat others well or abuse them. Disease...I don't have the answer to that one. I don't think our kids are cherry picked to have diabetes, though. Just my $0.02.

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

What I said was, I hoped it was true..not that it gives me comfort. I understand EXACTLY how you feel and feel the same way actually. When they had just pronounced my 37 year old son in law dead and his body was still lying in front of us and a nurse came in and tried to comfort us by saying everything happens for a reason, I wanted to scream. Oh really? My daughter is now a widow and my two grandchildren will grow up without their daddy? And when my husband had his stroke one month later..well..how is that right or just?

Sorry, I probably should not have posted the sermon or this reply . I believe faith is a choice, by it's very definition it does not have to make sense, you know?? Sometimes pretty little quotes like flowers in the spring and sunrises do lift the heart a bit. I guess to the answer of why our children, I ask, why not our children? I hate the suffering in the world, we are often so blind to it. Im jus trying really really hard not to be bitter.

5. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I have to agree. I am pretty sure that the bible says that it is Satan who comes to "kill, steal and destroy". I don't think God has any hand in my son having diabetes. JMO.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

It's about seeing the big picture, isn't it?

I don't go to Church nor am I a big fan of the Church as an entity, but I do have spiritual (and religious, believe or not) beliefs and I often resort to force myself to see beyond the crappy pieces to find some strength to not give up.

That said, the current cakes are sucking bit time. I'm a crappy baker, but I keep trying. <<< sign of a genius or an idiot, not sure which at this precise moment.

7. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I like the cake story, I would love it if that is how things work out. I could use a really big cake :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  8. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

I believe it is supposed to be about seeing the big picture. I am not very religious either, but also do consider myself spiritual. My cousin who is very religeous (the one who lost her son a few years ago) sent this to me several months back. I think it helped her to try and see the big picture, instead of just looking at all the negative layers. I think she passed it on to everyone she cared about to remind them to try and find bright sides where possible. Sometimes it's hard, but sometimes those little bright sides are the only things that give some of us that strength to keep going.

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yes, this. I don't believe that God purposely gives us suffering, but sometimes suffering and difficult things happen and through Him we can find the good and become stronger, better, more whole people. I don't believe He causes it, but I believe He CAN help make the good come out of the bad, if we allow.

I also believe strongly He cries with me when I'm suffering. Faith isn't supposed to make sense, that's what makes it...faith. It's not our job to figure it all out, and thank goodness for that. I just like to know I'm not alone in my suffering. Plus I like cake. I even like baking cake.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Sue, this is lovely:) Thank you so much for sharing this:cwds: I havent made a cake from scratch in many years so maybe its time that I should.

I have lost both of my parents before I was 40. I have been given the gift of 2 beautiful children. I have never thought that my parents died because they or I were bad. I have never thought that I was able to have those children because I was good. And I certainly blame no one, not me and not God for Steven's diabetes. I do thank him for Steven and for insulin and for the joy that Steven has brought into my life

11. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Susan, Thank you for sharing.

Many times I find that music speaks to me. Allow me to add two links to other inspirational stories.

The first is a song written by a woman whose husband has been dx with a brain tumor:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjB2skJi2co&feature=related (Story behind the song)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CSV...ext=1&list=AV4oVf-d_DwKDCIGIf8Ri4NE-9jfiELxTu (Song)

The second was inspired by a baby that was dx in-utereo with a heart defect:
    http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=77PYKWNX (Story beind the song)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAYYx_NVa9s&feature=related (Song)

Although I am praying for a cure for T1d, I am daily amazed at the strength and fortitude of my daughter. She lives in triumph over T1D and any other trial that comes her way.

12. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Thank you for sharing this! I have absolutely loved this song since I first heard it last fall when my family was starting on new, rough journey. I really made me think about so many things and gain a new perspective on what was going on and trust God completely. Now that I know the story behind the song, it is even more special to me.

13. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Thank you for the story, it was interesting whether an accurate portrayal of God's love or not.

As long as we are adding our two cents:

God could pick individuals to experience pain for their good (like a sergeon or is that spelled surgeon) or the world could operate like a clock once it is set in motion. Perhaps it is a combination. God could also permit people to experience pain as a consequence either collectively or individually. Whichever it is I would not think so much of myself to claim to know which it is in any particular circumstance unless God were to make that clear.

I do think it has been made clear that God does work all things for good. That is a promise. But it would be incomplete to leave it at that. The verse actually reads "All things work together for the good of those that love the Lord and are called according to his purpose."

Have I been called? OR was it my daughter that was called? Do I love the Lord, Does or will my daughter? Does this fit into some larger purpose?

Or is this just part of the rain that falls equally on all of us? The rain falls and I do not blame or credit God for each drop. Does he cause each storm or did He merely create a climate that is good for the Earth but at times unpleasant? Again some combination?

Or is it really neither so much pleasant or unpleasant as I perceive it to be one or the other? Rain to a drought filled land is pleasant even if it washes away the levies which is unpleasant.

Regardless, I Love the lord and am thankful for my daughter's life and I am thankful for insulin. I don't need to blame God for the diabetes that causes her to need the insulin because I trust Him to do what is best even though I admit I do not understand it.

14. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I think we all sometimes drift off to "why my child" and feel sorry for themselves and ourselves. I have to say, however, after 8 1/2 years of this, all the wonderful experiences that have come her way, all the amazing people she has met, all the ways it has molded her to be who she is now...does she wish for a cure...you bet!...does she wish it never happened...I honestly don't believe so.

15. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not to thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."

There have only been a few times (I can remember them) when I ever thought "Why me?" I've always come back to this.

16. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I bake my own cake, no God necessary. This way I can put in extra chocolate!

17. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I do believe in God and that He does what He does for a purpose. I do not blame him for my dd having diabetes. I do not blame him for my husbands strokes nor his death. I trust that during these stressful times in my life, it is like the poem Footprints in the Sand--the Lord is carrying me when the burden gets to heavy. I had to finish raising my two youngest daughters while working 2 part time jobs and visiting both my husband and father in a nursing home. Was it easy, Hell NO!, but I got thru it and I feel I am a better person for it. Take from this what you will, but please don't knock my faith.

18. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Hey, post the video! :D It would be persuasive!
    Just remember, it has to be from scratch. I mean, entirely from scratch. Nothing you didn't make yourself out of nothingness.

I joke, but I know lots of people who think they're making their own cake specifically so they can add extra chocolate, and it seems to always turn out pretty bitter!:( It always sounds like a fun thought, and maybe it works out for some really well, I've just never witnessed it. :cwds:

19. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

It's a very valid question.
    How can the God Christians believe in be both all good and omnipotent in a world with suffering?
    Some tried to solve it with dualism, approaching the issue as if God and Satan were on equal footing and each had a realm he ruled without interference. But Christians have to believe God has power over Satan, also, hence the development of the idea that God "allows" rather than causes suffering, and that he only does so in order to facilitate the free will of persons and in the end orders even that to the good.
    It's very complicated. Some get it instinctively, I personally have had to do a lot of talking and reading to get a grasp of it at all. It essentially comes down to looking upon suffering in a new way. But I can completely see how someone who does not believe in God, or in Christianity, could hear me talk of ordering suffering to the good, of a different way of looking at suffering, of "allowing" rather than causing, all that, and figure they were just convoluted ways of tricking myself into believing that contradiction (all good and all powerful) is actually just a mystery and a paradox.
    For what it's worth, St. John of the Cross, Mother Teresa, the Book of Job, St. Therese (the Little Flower) and Joyce Meyers :eek: can be useful reads if you're truly interested in knowing what Christians think about the place of suffering.

20. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

Beth, you are one of the most inspirational women I have had the pleasure of chatting with during one of the most horrendous times in my life. I treasure your words and strength, you made me understand early one morning that I would make it through the most difficult of situations because you had been through so much in such a small time period and yet, I could see your smile through your words. My faith has sustained me throughout my life and I do believe that I went into that chat room that early morning because it was meant to be for me to chat with you there. You probably don't remember but, I do and I thank you and thank God for letting me have the privilege of meeting you!