- advertisement -

Serious pump issues! HELP!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CaitlynGrisham, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Gosh, I am sorry I really hoped the humolog would help. I still think it is the metacresol. I can't find a commercially available insulin without it. There is actually a simple way to test for this if your endo can get ahold of the saline penfills. I would honestly print this out and bring it in. You shouldn't have to suffer like this.

http://www.jmedicalcasereports.com/content/6/1/263

2. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

My daughter was having a lot of the same issues. We eliminated ALL scented body wash and eliminated all lotions. She only uses Ivory or other soaps that do no have dyes or scents. This solved her issues, not sure if it might relate to yours.

3. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I am definitely going to print out this study. I'll see if my endo can't get ahold of some saline penfills like you suggested.

I am just getting so tired and worn down about this whole thing. It's worse, because no one who is in a position to medically help me is believing me at the moment.

4. CaitlynGrisham

I don't use lotion, but I do use scented body wash. I'll give that a shot and see if maybe this will help at all. Although, most of my symptoms are below the skin with inflammation.

Thanks!

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Have you consulted an allergist? They can run a scratch test to see if the insulins are the culprit, and can also run a panel to see if it is any of the preservatives.

I'd make an emergency appointment with your endo so that they can physically see the reaction you are having and then talk about an allergist and other possible options.

Sorry this is happening. I can only imagine how frustrating this is.

6. CaitlynGrisham

I made an appointment with the allergist at student health (UGH), so we'll see how that goes. My insurance will make me pay out of pocket if I see anyone outside of the student health facility, so I'm counting on their ability to do something right for once.

I don't have an endo down here; my endo is 8 hours away. The endo at student health (i.e. the only one I have access to) told me that I had to go through basic diabetes training in order to see her, which rubbed me the wrong way. She told me that I also had to PROVE that I am diabetic in order for her to see me. I am beyond frustrated.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

That's absurd! Any chance your endo can step in on your behalf and share your info with that endo? You must be coming up on spring break soon...any chance you can get home for an emergency visit? Or at the least take photos of your reaction and send them to your endo.

8. CaitlynGrisham

I agree that it's absurd! I am a very patient person, and I am almost always pretty levelheaded/determined, but this is seriously pushing me toward the deep end of things.

My endo back at home doesn't want to help me until I come in to see her, but I can't get in to see her until over spring break. She won't continue helping me with my CGM/insulin issues until I get blood tests as well. I don't mind seeing her and getting blood tests, but A.) I can't get there to see her right now as I am in college and B.) I don't trust student health to draw my blood.

To make things better, she doesn't work on weekends; so, I can't even try to make a run home for the weekend.

I have photos of my reaction(s) as well as a record of the last month/two months of blood sugars. I am going to try and send those her way.

UGH.

9. CaitlynGrisham

I was basically just told that she has patients who are in the area, so they take priority.
    Lovely.

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

A few thoughts. Is there another Physician at the health clinic you could see? The Endo may be a jerk but another primary or internist may be wonderful and can do all the same stuff. Your home endo may need a change also. Again look outside the box, first look for another endo then look for a internist then a primary till you find someone you can work with. They can all call and consult with another physician if needed. You need a Doc who is going to listen to you, and do the work of finding the solution for you. It is hard finding a good Dr. call all your friends, look on the internet, ask your online groups for names. It will take some time and it is a pain to do but then you will have years of a much easier time than what you are having now. You are being "shafted" excuse my french by all the Drs you are in contact with. :cwds::cwds::cwds:ali

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

OK how about a really good dermatologist, can you get in to see someone?

12. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Wow, you're going through so much, and with so little support. What the student health endo stated is only partially correct and is an insurance thing. Your home endo can send verification that you've been through basic D training and of your Dx - you do NOT need to do it all over again. Also, your college has to have an ombudsperson who can intervene on your behalf with student health, and you definitely qualify for that assistance at this point. You're having an ongoing reaction interfering with insulin metabolism that is in turn affecting your D management and overall health. If the student health endo won't see you quickly, she must provide a referral outside of student health that would be covered by student insurance b/c she the practitioner has stated she has no room for what constitutes as an emergency. That's where the ombudsmen comes in, and they should be available 24/7 to help in acute situations. PM me if you want more info - I'd be happy to give you some language you can put in writing that will light a fire under their collective arses.